How to pronounce "charset"?

Yi, EungJun
Hi, all.

I am translating the book "HTTP: The Definitive Guide" from English to Korean, and I feel difficult to translate the word "charset" to Korean. So I have just decided to translate the word as it sounds.

But I don't even know how to pronounce the word correctly. Many people pronounce "charset" as "character set" but I think that is incorrect because the word does not mean "character set".

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Carsten Bormann
Great question.
Coining new terms should never be done without giving pronunciation guidance.
It is one of the small obstacles that makes life for us non-native speakers harder.

I mostly hear "charset" pronounced "care-set" /kɛ(ə)rsɛt/, probably because that makes the root word "character" clear.
A rarer deviant pronunciation is "char-set" /tʃɑrsɛt/ (as if it where somewhat charring).

I'm sure I will now be pummeled to bits by native speakers.

Grüße, Carsten

On May 13, 2013, at 15:00, "Yi, EungJun" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I am translating the book "HTTP: The Definitive Guide" from English to Korean, and I feel difficult to translate the word "charset" to Korean. So I have just decided to translate the word as it sounds.
>
> But I don't even know how to pronounce the word correctly. Many people pronounce "charset" as "character set" but I think that is incorrect because the word does not mean "character set".
>
> Can anyone tell me how to pronounce?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Tim Bray-3
I count myself an 18n/unicode/typography/font geek and have spent lots
of time among them, and can testify that the first half of “charming”
plus the last half of “handset” mostly prevails in that crowd, whether
it’s correct or not.  -T

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Carsten Bormann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great question.
> Coining new terms should never be done without giving pronunciation guidance.
> It is one of the small obstacles that makes life for us non-native speakers harder.
>
> I mostly hear "charset" pronounced "care-set" /kɛ(ə)rsɛt/, probably because that makes the root word "character" clear.
> A rarer deviant pronunciation is "char-set" /tʃɑrsɛt/ (as if it where somewhat charring).
>
> I'm sure I will now be pummeled to bits by native speakers.
>
> Grüße, Carsten
>

> On May 13, 2013, at 15:00, "Yi, EungJun" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I am translating the book "HTTP: The Definitive Guide" from English to Korean, and I feel difficult to translate the word "charset" to Korean. So I have just decided to translate the word as it sounds.
>>
>> But I don't even know how to pronounce the word correctly. Many people pronounce "charset" as "character set" but I think that is incorrect because the word does not mean "character set".
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to pronounce?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Yoav Nir
Wait, charset is not character set?  UTF-8 is not a set of characters?

But I agree with Tim, that I've heard more tshar-set than car-set

On May 13, 2013, at 4:00 PM, "Yi, EungJun" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I am translating the book "HTTP: The Definitive Guide" from English to Korean, and I feel difficult to translate the word "charset" to Korean. So I have just decided to translate the word as it sounds.
>
> But I don't even know how to pronounce the word correctly. Many people pronounce "charset" as "character set" but I think that is incorrect because the word does not mean "character set".
>
> Can anyone tell me how to pronounce?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ)
Wow, this seems ripe for bikeshedding. But I've always heard the "care-set" pronunciation. Native speaker fwiw.

-Ian

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Yoav Nir <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wait, charset is not character set?  UTF-8 is not a set of characters?

But I agree with Tim, that I've heard more tshar-set than car-set

On May 13, 2013, at 4:00 PM, "Yi, EungJun" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I am translating the book "HTTP: The Definitive Guide" from English to Korean, and I feel difficult to translate the word "charset" to Korean. So I have just decided to translate the word as it sounds.
>
> But I don't even know how to pronounce the word correctly. Many people pronounce "charset" as "character set" but I think that is incorrect because the word does not mean "character set".
>
> Can anyone tell me how to pronounce?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Julian Reschke
On 2013-05-13 17:49, Yoav Nir wrote:
> Wait, charset is not character set?  UTF-8 is not a set of characters?

RFC 6365 defines "Coded Character Set" and "charset", and no, they are
not the same.

> But I agree with Tim, that I've heard more tshar-set than car-set

Same here :-)

Best regards, Julian

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Roberto Peon-2
I've also heard more 'tshar-set' than 'care-set' or 'car-set' when 'character-set' is abbreviated as 'char-set'.

On the other hand the non-abbreviated form 'character-set' I've always heard pronounced as 'care-acter-set'

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

James Cloos

YN> Wait, charset is not character set?  UTF-8 is not a set of characters?
YN> But I agree with Tim, that I've heard more tshar-set than car-set

Weird.  I've never used or heard anything but the first syllable of
character and the single syllable of set.

Appropriate, of course, since charset is a contraction of character set.

-JimC
James Cloos <[hidden email]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Thanks in advance.

RE: How to pronounce "charset"?

masinter

Personally, I think “charset” is a reference to the media type parameter name, and that even in a translation to Korean, it might be better to call it “charset” in Roman letters.

You wouldn’t translate other protocol parameter names, why “charset” ?

On May 15, 2013, at 16:09, Larry Masinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  “charset” is a reference to the media type parameter name

Not just a parameter name, it also is a term of art:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#sec-EncodingIdent

It is one of the great accidents in Web and Applications Area architecture that the term charset was built from the roots of "character set", which it is only loosely related to, and which in turn is a bad term by itself because it is not at all a set of characters either (the actual set is called "character repertoire" in JTC1/SC2 terms).

Grüße, Carsten

Re: How to pronounce "charset"?

Karl Dubost-2

Le 13 mai 2013 à 09:00, Yi, EungJun a écrit :
> I have just decided to translate the word as it sounds.

How is it said in Korea? Ask developers in Web agencies, etc. Make a survey around you.

Fwiw, French speakers, pronounce mostly "ch" the French way, which would be equivalent in English to:

        shar-set

--
Karl Dubost
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/