Harness Timeout versus <html class="reftest-wait">

Harness Timeout versus <html class="reftest-wait">

Gérard Talbot-3
Hello,

My message here is mostly a wiki-documentation topic.

used to be the way tests were coded in order for them to wait before
comparing with a reference.

http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css21/content/class%3D%22reftest-wait%22/

Now, we are supposed to use

or

to achieve, to create such wait.

Is my assumption/supposition correct here?

Gérard

- - - - - - - -

Harness Timeout
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/testharness-library.html#harness-timeout
[
The overall harness admits two timeout values "normal" (the default) and
"long", used for tests which have an unusually long runtime. After the
timeout is reached, the harness will stop waiting for further async
tests to complete. By default the timeouts are set to 10s and 60s,
respectively, but may be changed when the test is run on hardware with
different performance characteristics to a common desktop computer. In
order to opt-in to the longer test timeout, the test must specify a meta
element:

Occasionally tests may have a race between the harness timing out and a
particular test failing; typically when the test waits for some event
that never occurs. In this case it is possible to use
test.force_timeout() in place of assert_unreached(), to immediately fail
the test but with a status of TIMEOUT. This should only be used as a
last resort when it is not possible to make the test reliable in some
other way.
]

--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: Harness Timeout versus <html class="reftest-wait">

Chris Rebert
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Gérard Talbot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My message here is mostly a wiki-documentation topic.

> used to be the way tests were coded in order for them to wait before
> comparing with a reference.
>
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css21/content/class%3D%22reftest-wait%22/
>
> Now, we are supposed to use

> or

> to achieve, to create such wait.
>
> Is my assumption/supposition correct here?

No idea, but http://testthewebforward.org/docs/reftests.html#controlling-when-comparison-occurs
still talks about class="reftest-wait" and doesn't mention <meta
name="timeout">.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Bootstrap Core Team member
Browser bugs galore: http://getbootstrap.com/browser-bugs/

Re: Harness Timeout versus <html class="reftest-wait">

L. David Baron
On Thursday 2015-09-17 16:28 -0400, Gérard Talbot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My message here is mostly a wiki-documentation topic.

> used to be the way tests were coded in order for them to wait before
> comparing with a reference.
>
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css21/content/class%3D%22reftest-wait%22/
>
> Now, we are supposed to use

> or

> to achieve, to create such wait.
>
> Is my assumption/supposition correct here?
Although I'm not as familiar with the <meta name="timout">, I think
these are two different things.

reftest-wait is a class that should be removed when the test is
ready to be snapshotted.

However, a test harness needs a mechanism to give up on tests that
fail to remove this; for this, it uses a timeout, after which it
marks the test as having failed because it never completed.  <meta
name="timeout"> looks like it exists to adjust that timeout.

-David

--
𝄞   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄢   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂