HTML5 New Feature: CANVAS as a FORM INPUT

HTML5 New Feature: CANVAS as a FORM INPUT

Shai Manor
Dear HTML5 Specification Team,

We live in a touchable world. Tablets, smartphones, touch-enabled monitors.

We should be able to use the CANVAS as a FORM INPUT so that users can literally "digitally sign" with a stylus or a finger, and that signature should be stored either as an image in the user's account or sent to the "requester" through a FORM ACTION.

The concept is simple, taking forms to the next level and enabling user-generated input.

Best Regards,

Shai Manor

Re: HTML5 New Feature: CANVAS as a FORM INPUT

Thomas A. Fine
What would the format of submitted data be?  A JPEG or PNG?  A set of
the native canvas commands that were used to create the image?  Or those
commands converted into SVG, postscript, or pdf?

People can already write javascript (or whatever) to allow a user to
draw on a canvas, and store the data in some hidden form field.  So this
can be accomplished right now.  At a glance, that makes standardization
seem unnecessary.

Incidentally, there was an experiment in the early nineties with
something called scribble or jot (or both) which allowed users to make
drawings and submit them.  It obviously failed to become a standard, and
there's no signs of it left on the web that I can see.

      tom

On 10/29/12 6:08 AM, Shai Manor wrote:

> Dear HTML5 Specification Team,
>
> We live in a touchable world. Tablets, smartphones, touch-enabled monitors.
>
> We should be able to use the CANVAS as a FORM INPUT so that users can
> literally "digitally sign" with a stylus or a finger, and that signature
> should be stored either as an image in the user's account or sent to the
> "requester" through a FORM ACTION.
>
> The concept is simple, taking forms to the next level and enabling
> user-generated input.
>
> Best Regards,
> *
> *
> *
> Shai Manor*
> E-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: HTML5 New Feature: CANVAS as a FORM INPUT

Charles Pritchard-2
The InkML specification provides for a standard format for serialization. This can all be done with existing JS APIs (like FormData+XHR).

Pressure sensitivity is still missing from current implementations of DOM events.

Signature use cases seem to have more to do with key signing (encryption) than pen input.

-Charles