HTML5 Doctype - too unspecific?

Axel Dahmen-2
I have this question:

The HTML5 doctype just says HTML without any further specification.

So what if HTML6 will eventually come up? How are validators supposed to
behave?

Shouldn't the HTML5 doctype tag contain a simple version information at
least?

Axel

Re: HTML5 Doctype - too unspecific?

Jens Oliver Meiert
> So what if HTML6 will eventually come up? How are validators supposed to
> behave?
>
> Shouldn't the HTML5 doctype tag contain a simple version information at
> least?

Not sure whether anyone compiled a standard answer to this (it has
come up a number of times), but check the WHATWG FAQ at
<http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ> (look for DOCTYPE and versions) and
what Ian wrote in this post about a living standard, as opposed to a
snapshot-based (versioned) system:
<https://plus.google.com/107429617152575897589/posts/NZBJe6Jjt1f>.

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/

Re: HTML5 Doctype - too unspecific?

Axel Dahmen-2
Thanks for pointing me there, Jens,

but I couldn't actually find any explanation on how validators and designing
tools are supposed to validate HTML5 and future HTML standards correctly.

How are such tools to behave if certain tags/attributes will get deprecated
in future HTML versions? What if new tags/attributes will be added?

I'm currently developing for a customer who has just rolled out IE8.
Developing here is a matter of try & error because Visual Studio 2010
validates completely apart from target platform.

I believe that applications advertising to implement a versio of a standard
should only do so if the fully do so. So validation will actually have any
benefit.

But validation against any definitive version of a standard seems impossible
to me if there's no version information given.

So I see a lack of definition here.

Cheers,
Axel