HTML5 Conformance Checker: Warning on element <menu>

HTML5 Conformance Checker: Warning on element <menu>

narve
The menu element is now supported by all major browsers, and has been
for quite a long time. Thus; the warning "The menu element is not
supported by browsers yet. It would probably be better to wait for
implementations" only confuses webdesigners and acts as a brake for
utilization.

regards,
Narve Holm

- http://drammenantikvariat.net -
- http://liernatur.net -
- http://kiosterud.com -
- http://erikjacobsen.no -

Re: HTML5 Conformance Checker: Warning on element <menu>

Steve Faulkner-2
Hi Narve,

>The menu element is now supported by all major browsers

http://beta.caniuse.com/#search=menu

only current implementation is in Firefox

--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1

On 28 October 2014 00:44, narve <[hidden email]> wrote:
The menu element is now supported by all major browsers, and has been for quite a long time. Thus; the warning "The menu element is not supported by browsers yet. It would probably be better to wait for implementations" only confuses webdesigners and acts as a brake for utilization.

regards,
Narve Holm

- http://drammenantikvariat.net -
- http://liernatur.net -
- http://kiosterud.com -
- http://erikjacobsen.no -

Re: HTML5 Conformance Checker: Warning on element <menu>

Jukka K. Korpela
2014-10-30 2:53, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> Hi Narve,
>
>  >The menu element is now supported by all major browsers
>
> http://beta.caniuse.com/#search=menu
>
> only current implementation is in Firefox

The <menu> element has always been supported by all browsers.

The issue is whether browsers implement it in the way described in HTML5
drafts / WHATWG documents, completely differently from its legacy
meaning and implementation.

The original definition, still in force in approved HTML specifications,
is that <menu> is a variant of <ul>, expected to be rendered as a
compact single-column list. However, browsers have actually implemented
<menu> as a synonym for <ul>.

It is thus incorrect and misleading to say, as the current warning
message says, that “The menu element is not supported by browsers yet.”

It could be changed to say “The menu element is not yet implemented the
way defined in HTML5”.

It would be better to remove the warning, since the implementation
status has nothing to do with document conformance.

Besides, warning that some features used in a document have not been
implemented in major browsers implicitly conveys the wrong idea that
other features are. If warnings of this kind are issued, they should be
issued consistently about all features that lack support in some major
browser.

Yucca

On 29 October 2014 21:38, Jukka K. Korpela <[hidden email]> wrote:
The issue is whether browsers implement it in the way described in HTML5 drafts / WHATWG documents, completely differently from its legacy meaning and implementation.

If the site uses a HTML5 doctype then it should be prepared to be checked against HTML5. if you want to use <menu> without a warning then use HTML 4 doctype. The warning indicates that it is not implemented as described in HTML 5.1

besides its simply a warning, there is nothing to stop it being used.

--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1

Re: HTML5 Conformance Checker: Warning on element <menu>

Jens Oliver Meiert
> > > The menu element is now supported by all major browsers
> >
> > http://beta.caniuse.com/#search=menu
>
> The <menu> element has always been supported by all browsers.

And if we want to look at the specs, <menu> was part of all specs
except HTML “1” and XHTML 1.1:
http://meiert.com/en/indices/html-elements/#toc-m.

(Sorry, only Steve runs a comparable overview ^_^)

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/

http://coderesponsibly.org/