HTML validator - A safeguard for old browsers is flagged up as an error

HTML validator - A safeguard for old browsers is flagged up as an error

Kelvin Warne
Hello w3 org,

Thank you for your very useful validators; I use them regularly.

When I insert an anchor in a page, I follow the advice in the w3 reference material and use eg. <a id="TopofPage" name="TopofPage"></a> to cater for old (name) as well as current (id) browsers. This is flagged as an error in your validators (both the original and your Nu Html checker).

NB. A similar situation arises in the css checker when using the older IE Opacity style statement as well as the current one.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you and Kind Regards
Kelvin

Re: HTML validator - A safeguard for old browsers is flagged up as an error

David Dorward-3

On 8 Jun 2015, at 15:21, Kelvin Warne wrote:

When I insert an anchor in a page, I follow the advice in the w3 reference material

Which material are you referencing?

and use eg. <a id="TopofPage" name="TopofPage"></a> to cater for old (name) as well as current (id) browsers. This is flagged as an error in your validators (both the original and your Nu Html checker).

The nu validator flags it as a warning, not an error. This is a feature that is required by the specification. (I believe the non-nu version just wraps the same engine for HTML 5, so I'd expect the same result there).

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/obsolete.html#warnings-for-obsolete-but-conforming-features

NB. A similar situation arises in the css checker when using the older IE Opacity style statement as well as the current one.

Do you mean filter: opacity? That has never been standard CSS. Happily, Microsoft have dropped support for it and implemented the standard.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/