HTML Tag of INPUT

ChihJenWu
Dear guys of W3C:

Excuse me. I don't know the question which someone have raised.
After I search the current SPEC. of HTML. there is no type as number in INPUT tag. I found that INPUT tag has properties like "text", "submit", "time" ....and so on. But has someone ever consider that use "number" as a type of INPUT tag.
This is because I made a mobile page recently, and found that if we have a form for users who need to fulfill it on mobile devices. Unfortunately, the soft-keyboard can not automatically switch number or alpha between different INPUT tag, when the INPUT tag we arranged on mobile web page. For example, we want user type name (alpha), phone number(pure number) and ....etc.
But the soft-keyboard can not pop up an adaptive keyboard according to type of INPUT tag is "text" or "number".
About this issue, has the w3c ever consider add "number" type into properties of INPUT tag??
Thanks for your answer

Regards
Chih-Jen Wu
Front-end Engr/ITRI

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊,非指定之收件者,請勿使用或揭露本信件內容,並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.

Re: HTML Tag of INPUT

David Clarke-6
Chih-Jen Wu,

The HTML 5 specification which is currently being worked on does include a "number" property, as well as several others.

see : http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-input-element.html

On 06/03/2012 10:40, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Chris Baker-9
Chih-Jen Wu,

Check out http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-input-element.html#attr-input-type

This portion of the spec, while being a work in progress, is already implemented by many major user agents. In my tests with stock Andriod and iPhone systems I have not encountered a version that has not already implemented this portion of the spec, properly driving the mode of the soft keyboard as expected. If you are finding that your testing environment does not have a browser that implements the "number" input type, I suggest your user agent is seriously out-of-date, or obscure -- most vendors have been pretty (overly?) eager to implement these specifications while they're still hot off the press, or still on the press as it were.