HTML 5 draft proposal and noframe

Michael Sanderson
This may be an early draft I am reading at http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/Overview.html but I have concern over the following re HTML 5:

"...The following elements are not in HTML 5 because their usage affected usability and accessibility for the end user in a negative way:

  • frame
  • frameset
  • noframes..."
My concern is that the noframe tag will be deprecated. This will leave webpages using the iframe tag with no way to render their sites compliant with ADA standards, which calls for a link in the noframe area that leads to a non-frame version of the page.

Thank you for your attention.

Re: <noframes> and <iframe>

Anne van Kesteren-2

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:10:19 +0100, Michael Sanderson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>    framesetnoframes..."My concern is that the noframe tag will be
> deprecated. This will leave webpages using the iframe tag with no way to
> render their sites compliant with ADA standards, which calls for a link
> in the noframe area that leads to a non-frame version of the page.

put alternate content inside the <iframe> element for user agents that do
not support it. However, I'm not sure if there are still user agents out
there that do not support <iframe>.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>
<http://www.opera.com/>

Re: <noframes> and <iframe>

Frank Ellermann

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I'm not sure if there are still user agents out there
> that do not support <iframe>.

Netscape 3.x does not know it.  There used to be lists
what browser does what in the browser wars.

<http://de.selfhtml.org/html/frames/eingebettete.htm>
says IE3 added it, NS4 didn't have it (they had ilayer
in the war).

I don't recall what Lynx does for <iframe>, for ordinary
frames it offers links.  <noframes> outside of frameset
document types can't be a good idea.  For obvious reasons
Wilbur also had no <noframes> => sure kill.

 Frank