HTML 5 and ARIA

Dave Hodder

Hi,

How does HTML 5 integrate with the Accessible Rich Internet Applications
specification <http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/>?  There is a lot of
overlap between the two, and at present HTML 5 doesn't mention ARIA at all.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: HTML 5 and ARIA

James Graham-2

Disclaimer: This is a personal response and does not represent a
consensus decision made by the HTML-WG.

Dave Hodder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does HTML 5 integrate with the Accessible Rich Internet
> Applications specification <http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/>?
It is planned to allow aria in HTML 5 but the (not inconsiderable) work
needed to define processing requirements for this integration has not
yet happened. See [1] for more information.
> There is a lot of overlap between the two, and at present HTML 5
> doesn't mention ARIA at all.
Indeed; that overlap is one of the main reasons why this has not
happened yet. I have a vague plan to look at this in more detail
sometime, but I don't know how soon that will happen. If you want faster
progress, we could try setting up a wiki page or something to enumerate
the questions that need to be answered.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35