GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

Threaded

GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Dear all:

Some people think that the GoodRelations ontology for e-commerce
(http://purl.org/goodrelations/) is powerful, but complex.
I think it is important for everybody in the community to know that
GoodRelations can be as simple (or simpler) than any more lightweight
approach for product markup, as long as you compare the same level of
granularity.

Below, please find an example of offering a car for sales in just ten
(!) triples.

Of course, you can do more with GoodRelations than just encoding a price
and carrying the semantics of the product itself in a string.

The important message in here is that simple chunks of data are as
simple in GoodRelations as they are in hProduct/hListing microformats,
Google's RDFa vocabulary, or the Open Graph product markup.

The key difference is that GoodRelations has a much more extensible and,
in my biased ;-) judgement: cleaner, conceptual model so that IF you
have more granular data available, THEN you can expose it, and make your
products more findable on the Web.

For example, GoodRelations distinguishes between products and product
models / datasheets. That allows for powerful linking between individual
items and rich technical specifications from the manufacturer's page.

The Open Graph approach seems to use a plain "topic" semantics, which
mixes items, datasheets, and offers.

Please keep that in mind and spread the word.

Here is the markup.

Best wishes

Martin

Turtle/N3:
=========
@prefix foo: <http://www.example.com/xyz#> .
@prefix gr: <http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .

foo:company a gr:BusinessEntity;
     gr:legalName "Hepp Space Ventures Inc.";
     gr:offers foo:offering.

foo:offering a gr:Offering;
     rdfs:label "Volkswagen Station Wagon, 4WD, 400 $"@en;
     rdfs:description "I sell my old Volkswagen Station Wagon, 4WD, for
400 $"@en;
     gr:hasPriceSpecification
         [ a gr:UnitPriceSpecification;
             gr:hasCurrencyValue "400"^^xsd:string;
             gr:hasCurrency "USD"^^xsd:string. ].

RDFa:
====
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:gr="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#"
xmlns:foo="http://www.example.com/xyz#"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#">
$" xml:lang="en"></div>
Station Wagon, 4WD, for 400 $" xml:lang="en"></div>
datatype="xsd:string"></div>

RDF/XML:
=======

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:gr="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#"
xmlns:foo="http://www.example.com/xyz#"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
<gr:BusinessEntity rdf:about="http://www.example.com/xyz#company">
<gr:legalName>Hepp Space Ventures Inc.</gr:legalName>
<gr:offers>
<gr:Offering rdf:about="http://www.example.com/xyz#offering">
<rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Volkswagen Station Wagon, 4WD, 400 $</rdfs:label>
<rdfs:description xml:lang="en">I sell my old Volkswagen Station Wagon,
4WD, for 400 $</rdfs:description>
<gr:hasPriceSpecification>
<gr:UnitPriceSpecification>
<gr:hasCurrencyValue
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">400</gr:hasCurrencyValue>
<gr:hasCurrency
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">USD</gr:hasCurrency>
</gr:UnitPriceSpecification>
</gr:hasPriceSpecification>
</gr:Offering>
</gr:offers>
</gr:BusinessEntity>
</rdf:RDF>

martin hepp
e-business&  web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  [hidden email]
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:     http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on
Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009

Threaded

Re: GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Apologies - There were a few minor bugs in the initial markup:
- I forgot the business function.
- The datatype for the price was xsd:string instead of xsd:float.
- The legal name had no language tag.

The correct examples are at

http://ebusiness-unibw.org/pipermail/goodrelations/2010-May/000215.html

On 03.05.10 10:38, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:

> [...]

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009

Threaded

Re: GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

Dan Brickley-2
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Martin Hepp (UniBW)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Apologies - There were a few minor bugs in the initial markup:
> - I forgot the business function.
> - The datatype for the price was xsd:string instead of xsd:float.
> - The legal name had no language tag.
>
> The correct examples are at
>
> http://ebusiness-unibw.org/pipermail/goodrelations/2010-May/000215.html

Still missing a fix - 'rdfs:description' doesn't exist. Maybe put the
examples in a wiki / Web page? Is rdfs:description being used in the
wild, or in tools?
http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1.html mentions
rdfs:comment instead.

cheers,

Dan

Threaded

Re: GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Hi Dan,
Thanks for spotting this - yes, apologies; it should have been
rdfs:comment, of course. I will fix it in the GoodRelations Cookbook at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations#CookBook:_GoodRelations_Recipes_and_Examples

Best

Martin