Fw: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Toby Inkster-4
Begin forwarded message...

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 00:32:50 +0000
From: Toby Inkster <[hidden email]>
To: foaf-dev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Let's do a bit of collaborative work to flesh out a FOAF-like
lightweight vocabulary for describing events, suitable for embedding in
RDFa to describe concerts, conferences, birthdays, anniversaries,
national holidays and so on.

Sure, we have the iCalendar RDF vocab, but I've come to the conclusion
that that's more suited to representing calendar entries - not the
events themselves.

I'm thinking of a simple set of extensions for Yves Raimond's Event
Ontology.

Let's kickstart this with the class eon:Event which would be a trivial
subclass of <http://purl.org/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event>.

Here's a sketch of how an event might look in Turtle:

        <#this>
                a eon:Event ;
                foaf:name "Lewes Bonfire" ;
                foaf:page <http://www.lewesbonfirecouncil.org.uk/> ;
                eon:date "2010-11-05"^^xsd:date ;
                eon:location [
                        foaf:name "Lewes" ;
                        foaf:page wikipedia:Lewes
                        ] .

Properties that I think should be included:

* eon:start and eon:end - which can be xsd:dateTime or xsd:date (if the
  latter, then the event starts/ends at an unspecified time on that day)

* eon:date - a subproperty of both eon:start and eon:end with range
  xsd:date.

* eon:location - range geo:SpatialThing

Probably need an attendee property and an organizer/participant
property. Maybe eon:cost, eon:details, eon:bookings.

I've placed a sketch on my data wiki <http://wiki.ontologi.es/>. Feel
free to edit; and add yourself as a foaf:maker if you do!

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[hidden email]>
<http://tobyinkster.co.uk>

RE: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Michael Schneider-6
Hi Toby!

For your information, the term "EON" is also used as the acronym of the
"International Workshop on Evaluation of Ontology-based Tools", an (almost-)
yearly event that exists since 2002. See [1] for the proceedings of the
first EON workshop. It would probably not be advisable to reuse the acronym
for something else in the Semantic Web context.

Michael

[1] http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-62/

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Toby Inkster-4
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:26:15 +0100
"Michael Schneider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For your information, the term "EON" is also used as the acronym of
> the "International Workshop on Evaluation of Ontology-based Tools",
> an (almost-) yearly event that exists since 2002. See [1] for the
> proceedings of the first EON workshop. It would probably not be
> advisable to reuse the acronym for something else in the Semantic Web
> context.

I'm aware of it, but thought that confusion between them would likely
be minimal. What do other people think?

If others think confusion is likely, I have a backup name: the Event
Representation Argot. :-)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Robert Sanderson

Is there some reason not to use LODE?

    http://linkedevents.org/ontology/

-- Rob Sanderson

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Toby Inkster <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:26:15 +0100
"Michael Schneider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For your information, the term "EON" is also used as the acronym of
> the "International Workshop on Evaluation of Ontology-based Tools",
> an (almost-) yearly event that exists since 2002. See [1] for the
> proceedings of the first EON workshop. It would probably not be
> advisable to reuse the acronym for something else in the Semantic Web
> context.

I'm aware of it, but thought that confusion between them would likely
be minimal. What do other people think?

If others think confusion is likely, I have a backup name: the Event
Representation Argot. :-)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[hidden email]>
<http://tobyinkster.co.uk>

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Toby Inkster-4
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:50:58 -0700
Robert Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there some reason not to use LODE?
>
>     http://linkedevents.org/ontology/

A few, though they could possibly be addressed by a revision of LODE:

1. lode:Event appears to be restricted to events which have already
   happened. One of the main use cases for EON is to describe events
   which are planned.

2. Its time properties use OWL Time which is overly complicated for the
   lightweight FOAF-style vocabulary I'm aiming for, suitable for easy
   embedding in web pages.

3. It's missing certain properties that seem to be useful to cover the
   kind events that are advertised/mentioned on the Web - cost, booking
   links, etc.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Fw: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Raphaël Troncy-2
Hi Toby,

> Let's do a bit of collaborative work to flesh out a FOAF-like
> lightweight vocabulary for describing events, suitable for embedding in
> RDFa to describe concerts, conferences, birthdays, anniversaries,
> national holidays and so on.

Let's not re-intent the wheel! Have you heard about LODE?
http://linkedevents.org/ontology/

LODE has been designed after a thorough study of all known existing
OWL/RDF ontologies that define events and provide a set of mappings
between all models. Please read:

Ryan Shaw, Raphaël Troncy and Lynda Hardman. LODE: Linking Open
Descriptions of Events. In 4th Annual Asian Semantic Web Conference
(ASWC'09), vol. LNCS 5926, pages 153-167, Shanghai, China, December 6-9,
2009.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-10871-6_11
http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/Publications/Troncy_Shaw-aswc09.pdf

or watch:
http://www.slideshare.net/troncy/lode-linking-open-descriptions-of-events-aswc-2009

LODE is more and more used in the LOD cloud. There is the EventMedia
bubble (several hundreds of thousands of events linked with millions of
photos and videos). LODE has been extended for DSNotify and for other
linked data applications.

> Let's kickstart this with the class eon:Event which would be a trivial
> subclass of<http://purl.org/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event>.
[snip]
> I've placed a sketch on my data wiki<http://wiki.ontologi.es/>. Feel
> free to edit; and add yourself as a foaf:maker if you do!

All this example can be easily written in LODE.
Best regards.

   Raphaël

--
Raphaël Troncy
2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Raphaël Troncy
> Is there some reason not to use LODE?
>
> http://linkedevents.org/ontology/

Thanks for this suggestion Rob ;-)

   Raphaël

--
Raphaël Troncy
2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
e-mail: [hidden email] & [hidden email]
Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Raphaël Troncy-2
Hi Toby,

> A few, though they could possibly be addressed by a revision of LODE:
>
> 1. lode:Event appears to be restricted to events which have already
>     happened. One of the main use cases for EON is to describe events
>     which are planned.

Not at all! The EventMedia bubble in the LOD cloud used to contain many
upcoming events (which will be past events at some point in the future ;-)

> 2. Its time properties use OWL Time which is overly complicated for the
>     lightweight FOAF-style vocabulary I'm aiming for, suitable for easy
>     embedding in web pages.

I agree that OWL Time should be revised at some point, but hey, we just
have one blank node !
(made up) Example of a description of a past Radiohead concert in LA:

<http://data.linkedevents.org/event/1380633>
   a lode:Event;
   dc:title "Radiohead: Haiti Relief Concert";
   lode:involvedAgent <http://data.linkedevents.org/agent/14055285>;
   lode:atPlace <http://data.linkedevents.org/location/8943964>;
   lode:inSpace
     [ wgs84:lat "34.101624"^^xsd:string;
       wgs84:long "-118.32331"^^xsd:string
     ];
   lode:atTime
     [ time:inXSDDateTime "2010-01-24T20:00:00"^^xsd:dateTime ];
   owl:sameAs
<http://www.last.fm/event/1380633+Radiohead%3A+Haiti+Relief+Concert>;
   owl:sameAs <http://www.last.fm/event/1380633/>;
   dc:publisher <http://www.last.fm>.

> 3. It's missing certain properties that seem to be useful to cover the
>     kind events that are advertised/mentioned on the Web - cost, booking
>     links, etc.

There are extensions for this, either using the patterns from the F
event model or with direct properties. It would be better to start from
this rather than re-inventing what already exists.
Best regards.

   Raphaël

--
Raphaël Troncy
2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
e-mail: [hidden email] & [hidden email]
Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

mfhepp@gmail.com
Hi all:

I am pretty much done with a comprehensive ticket ontology based on
GoodRelations, so it may make sense to use that for all the commercial
aspects of tickets and booking. It will work with most notions of
"event" from existing ontologies.
Will keep you posted.

Best wishes

Martin

On 08.11.2010, at 01:51, Raphaël Troncy wrote:

> Hi Toby,
>
>> A few, though they could possibly be addressed by a revision of LODE:
>>
>> 1. lode:Event appears to be restricted to events which have already
>>    happened. One of the main use cases for EON is to describe events
>>    which are planned.
>
> Not at all! The EventMedia bubble in the LOD cloud used to contain
> many upcoming events (which will be past events at some point in the
> future ;-)
>
>> 2. Its time properties use OWL Time which is overly complicated for
>> the
>>    lightweight FOAF-style vocabulary I'm aiming for, suitable for
>> easy
>>    embedding in web pages.
>
> I agree that OWL Time should be revised at some point, but hey, we
> just have one blank node !
> (made up) Example of a description of a past Radiohead concert in LA:
>
> <http://data.linkedevents.org/event/1380633>
>  a lode:Event;
>  dc:title "Radiohead: Haiti Relief Concert";
>  lode:involvedAgent <http://data.linkedevents.org/agent/14055285>;
>  lode:atPlace <http://data.linkedevents.org/location/8943964>;
>  lode:inSpace
>    [ wgs84:lat "34.101624"^^xsd:string;
>      wgs84:long "-118.32331"^^xsd:string
>    ];
>  lode:atTime
>    [ time:inXSDDateTime "2010-01-24T20:00:00"^^xsd:dateTime ];
>  owl:sameAs <http://www.last.fm/event/1380633+Radiohead%3A+Haiti+Relief+Concert
> >;
>  owl:sameAs <http://www.last.fm/event/1380633/>;
>  dc:publisher <http://www.last.fm>.
>

>> 3. It's missing certain properties that seem to be useful to cover
>> the
>>    kind events that are advertised/mentioned on the Web - cost,
>> booking
>>    links, etc.
>
> There are extensions for this, either using the patterns from the F
> event model or with direct properties. It would be better to start
> from this rather than re-inventing what already exists.
> Best regards.
>
>  Raphaël
>
> --
> Raphaël Troncy
> EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department
> 2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
> e-mail: [hidden email] & [hidden email]
> Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
> Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
> Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  [hidden email]
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:     http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

* Quickstart Guide for Developers: http://bit.ly/quickstart4gr
* Vocabulary Reference: http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1
* Developer's Wiki: http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations
* Examples: http://bit.ly/cookbook4gr
* Presentations: http://bit.ly/grtalks
* Videos: http://bit.ly/grvideos

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Juan Sequeda
So what should I use for my website that offers events and sells tickets?

Juan Sequeda
+1-575-SEQ-UEDA
www.juansequeda.com

2010/11/8 Martin Hepp <[hidden email]>
[...]

martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Hi Juan,
On 09.11.2010, at 00:08, Juan Sequeda wrote:

> So what should I use for my website that offers events and sells
> tickets?

Give me a week or so to release the Ticket Ontology ;-)
It will be very powerful yet concise - allowing you e.g. to indicate
that a ticket includes free transportation to the event, or expose age
intervals and the number of admitted persons per ticket.

It will have ca. 12 classes and allow modeling tickets for all kinds
of events, points of interest (e.g. museums), and transportation (e.g.
air fare, trains, coaches).

Best
Martin

> [...]
> Best regards.
>
>  Raphaël
>
> --
> Raphaël Troncy
> EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department
> 2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
> e-mail: [hidden email] & [hidden email]
> Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
> Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
> Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

> martin hepp
> e-business & web science research group
> universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen
>
> e-mail:  [hidden email]
> phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
> fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
> www:     http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
>         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
> skype:   mfhepp
> twitter: mfhepp
>
> Check out GoodRelations for E-Commerce on the Web of Linked Data!

Kjetil Kjernsmo
Mandag 08 november 2010 01:51, skrev Raphaël Troncy:
>    lode:atTime
>      [ time:inXSDDateTime "2010-01-24T20:00:00"^^xsd:dateTime ];

OMG! That additional complexity is something I would certainly want to avoid.
I guess there may be good OWL reasons why one would want to do that, but I
cannot think of any good reasons why you would want to put the data type into
the predicate like this in most cases. Just think about the horror of writing
this in RDFa... And how it also becomes an extra line in a SPARQL query.

The event ontology really needs a predicate which has the event as domain and
xsd:dateTime as range, for the stated purpose.

Cheers,

Kjetil

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Toby Inkster-4
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:24:56 +0100
Kjetil Kjernsmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OMG! That additional complexity is something I would certainly want
> to avoid. I guess there may be good OWL reasons why one would want to
> do that, but I cannot think of any good reasons why you would want to
> put the data type into the predicate like this in most cases. Just
> think about the horror of writing this in RDFa... And how it also
> becomes an extra line in a SPARQL query.

There are legitimate use cases for it. OWL Time models instants and
periods of time as non-literals to allow relationships to be drawn
between them, and for them to be annotated in detail.

e.g.

        [ a owltime:Instant ] :before [ a owltime:Instant ] .

If literals were being used, RDF's non-literal-subject restriction
would not allow such a statement to be used.

However, this complexity is overkill for most use cases. And that's why
I want to start a new event vocabulary from scratch - well, by
subclassing existing event vocabularies - something dead easy to embed
in web pages as RDFa, but that covers most use cases.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Raphaël Troncy-2
Dear Toby, Kjetil,

> There are legitimate use cases for it. OWL Time models instants and
> periods of time as non-literals to allow relationships to be drawn
> between them, and for them to be annotated in detail.
>
> e.g.
> [ a owltime:Instant ] :before [ a owltime:Instant ] .
>
> If literals were being used, RDF's non-literal-subject restriction
> would not allow such a statement to be used.

Indeed.

> However, this complexity is overkill for most use cases. And that's why
> I want to start a new event vocabulary from scratch - well, by
> subclassing existing event vocabularies - something dead easy to embed
> in web pages as RDFa, but that covers most use cases.

But then, it is better to just add this missing property you're looking
for (and actually, I'm thinking to add it in LODE) but I don't see the
reason why you want to create new classes and properties for all the
rest (event, location, etc.)

   Raphaël