Fw: Questions regarding tools for bibliographic data for TR pubs

Fw: Questions regarding tools for bibliographic data for TR pubs

Steve K Speicher

Greetings Norm,

In a private thread I had with Dom about the auto-generation of the
XML-Spec blist, he recommended I contact you.

Does there exist a way to reference to TR, say from the <bibl> entry and
have a stylesheet build the appropriate XML-Spec and/or HTML?

Perhaps it would be best to create a separate document to capture a "point
in time" instead of dynamically referencing TRs.  Though it would be nice
to have a tool like Dom built to selectively generate XML-spec bibli
elements.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Just hoping to save editors/myself
some additional work here.

Steve Speicher
W3C CDF Editor
IBM SWG, Software Standards
(919) 254-0645

----- Forwarded by Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM on 12/08/2005 03:00 PM
-----

Dominique Hazaël-Massieux <[hidden email]> wrote on 11/22/2005 11:55:46 AM:

> Le mardi 22 novembre 2005 à 11:54 -0500, Steve K Speicher a écrit :
> > Dominique Hazaël-Massieux <[hidden email]> wrote on 11/22/2005 11:40:05
AM:

> > > Have you seen the reference to
> > > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2003OctDec/0002.html
> >
> > I have, and the tr.rdf that it mentions is current with the current
list
> > of TRs ?
>
> No, I think this was an amended copy that Norm used at that time to
> handle cross-references between specifications published at the same
> time. The up-to-date list of TRs is maintained at
> http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf
>
> > If so, then I just have to manually copy-n-paste the appropriate
sections

> > from tr.xml to my spec?
>
> Indeed, but Norm alludes to an even better solution where the XSLT that
> creates the HTML does the copy-n-paste work itself; maybe you should ask
> him (cc spec-prod so that others can benefit from it) about how to get
> this to work? (it doesn't seem to appear in the original email).
>
> Dom
> --
> Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - http://www.w3.org/People/Dom/
> W3C/ERCIM
> mailto:[hidden email]
> [attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM]

Re: Fw: Questions regarding tools for bibliographic data for TR pubs

Norman Walsh-3
/ Steve K Speicher <[hidden email]> was heard to say:
| Does there exist a way to reference to TR, say from the <bibl> entry and
| have a stylesheet build the appropriate XML-Spec and/or HTML?

Yes. In fact, I do this for the XSL/XML Query specifications.

In CVS (under WWW/XML/Group/xsl-query-specs/etc), you'll find tr.xml
which I build from tr.rdf with ../style/tr-bibl.xsl.

Then, in individual specifications, I use empty bibls, for example:

  <bibl id="xml-infoset"     key="Infoset"/>

And the stylesheet constructs the appropriate bibliography entry from
the "id" and the data in tr.xml. The id has to be the short name of
the specification.

I suppose it would be good to make this available on a wider scale. I
think all that would be necessary is the automatic construction of
tr.xml whenever tr.rdf changes and some stylesheet parameters.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
[hidden email] / XML Standards Architect / Sun Microsystems, Inc.