Feedback on http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

post-29
HTML5 appcache manifest

Problem:
Additional programming is required while listing all files for caching
which I would like to avoid. I would like to cache a larger number of
files which would create too much overhead to fill into the manifest
manually.

Solution:
Why not use regular expressions such as wildcards to specify what to
cache and what to put on the online whitelist?

Example:
CACHE MANIFEST

NETWORK:
piwik.js

CACHE:
/assets/* # <- this doesn't seem to work

thanks for considering.

Markus

Re: Feedback on http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

Ian Hickson
On Tue, 3 May 2011, [hidden email] wrote:

> Solution:
> Why not use regular expressions such as wildcards to specify what to cache and
> what to put on the online whitelist?
> [...]
> CACHE:
> /assets/* # <- this doesn't seem to work

An infinite number of URLs match this, how would the browser know which to
fetch?