Feedback addition

Crystal Steltenpohl

Validating
Hi,
It would be great if you actually showed people how to FIX the problems they have with HTML. Like for example: "There is no attribute *whatever*"... If it's something commonly used like "topmargin," could you please tell us what we can put instead of that to get the same effect? Thanks.
For example, I was trying to help this site: www.graphixfantasy.com validate its stuff. But I can't help them because I don't know a replacement for a lot of the stuff that's "not real."
~Crystal

Re: Feedback addition

Lachlan Hunt

Crystal Steltenpohl wrote:
> It would be great if you actually showed people how to FIX the problems they have with HTML.

Yes, that would be useful.

> Like for example: "There is no attribute *whatever*"... If it's
> something commonly used like "topmargin," could you please tell us what we can
> put instead of that to get the same effect?

Use CSS instead of presentational markup.  topmargin, leftmargin,
marginwidth and marginheight attributes can be replaced with CSS by
setting appropraite values for the margin and padding:

body { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

(add that to an external CSS file or, failing that, inside the style
element within the document head.)

> site: www.graphixfantasy.com

The first error can be fixed by adding this DOCTYPE to the beginning of
the file.

     "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Most of the other errors can be fixed by removing the offending elements
and attributes and using CSS for presentation instead.  eg. instead of
using <font> elements everywhere, use CSS to set the font appropriately
with the 'font-*'.  Instead of using the background attribute, use the
CSS 'background-*' properties.

Don't use the marquee element, there is currently no CSS alternative
available but moving text is very bad for usability and accessibility

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/