False Error Messages

Fred Ruckstahl
It would be nice if you could eliminate the false error messages.  The the validator claimed seven erros on each of the last two pages we checked when in fact, there was only one on each of the pages.

Now, someone will be tempted to respond that these are subsequent errors that would exist if the actual error was not corrected to which we will reply, "We don't care about any subsequent errors!"  All we need to know is which tags are incorrect. and we don't like wasting our time trying to track down errors that don't exist.

Re: False Error Messages

Michael[tm] Smith
Hi Fred,

Fred Ruckstahl <[hidden email]>, 2015-05-17 01:26 +0200:

> It would be nice if you could eliminate the false error messages.

What exactly do you mean by “false error messages”? Can you give specific
examples, or a URL for a document that generates “false error messages?

> The the validator claimed seven erros on each of the last two pages we
> checked when in fact, there was only one on each of the pages.

What are the URLs for those documents? Or a URL for another document that
causes the validator to generate what you consider “false” errors?

> Now, someone will be tempted to respond that these are subsequent errors
> that would exist if the actual error was not corrected to which we will
> reply, "We don't care about any subsequent errors!"  All we need to know
> is which tags are incorrect. and we don't like wasting our time trying to
> track down errors that don't exist.

Without any specific examples of what you mean, it’s very hard to
understand at all what you’re talking about.

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike

Re: False Error Messages

Nick Kew
On Mon, 2015-05-18 at 16:53 +0900, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Fred Ruckstahl <[hidden email]>, 2015-05-17 01:26 +0200:
> >
> > It would be nice if you could eliminate the false error messages.
>
> What exactly do you mean by “false error messages”? Can you give specific
> examples, or a URL for a document that generates “false error messages?
>
> > The the validator claimed seven erros on each of the last two pages we
> > checked when in fact, there was only one on each of the pages.
>
> What are the URLs for those documents? Or a URL for another document that
> causes the validator to generate what you consider “false” errors?

At a guess, cascading error messages.  HTML example: something implies
reported as errors.

If so, the answer is that you can't really suppress it, but you can
improve presentation to make it clearer what's going on.  Site Valet
may be sadly neglected these days, but its alternative presentations
aim to deal with precisely that problem.

On a historic note, tools like these are created by programmers,
programmers deal with cascading errors like this all the time:
it's in the nature of the work.  So it seems perfectly normal.

--
Nick Kew