FW: UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing, Version 6.1 Released

FW: UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing, Version 6.1 Released

masinter

Should the IRI spec explicitly follow Unicode updates?

Re: FW: UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing, Version 6.1 Released

Ted Hardie-2
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Larry Masinter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Should the IRI spec explicitly follow Unicode updates?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Are you saying we should
update this reference in the draft:

  [UNIV6]    The Unicode Consortium, "The Unicode Standard, Version
              6.0.0 (Mountain View, CA, The Unicode Consortium, 2011,
              ISBN 978-1-936213-01-6)", October 2010.

to the current 6.1? Or are you suggesting that the draft say that
reference should be to something that is functionally "this thing or
its successors"?

Ted

Ted:
> I'm not sure I understand the question.  Are you saying we should update this reference in the draft:

>   [UNIV6]    The Unicode Consortium, "The Unicode Standard, Version
>             6.0.0 (Mountain View, CA, The Unicode Consortium, 2011,
>              ISBN 978-1-936213-01-6)", October 2010.
>  to the current 6.1?

Yes

>   Or are you suggesting that the draft say that reference should be to something that is functionally "this thing or its successors"?

I think that no special consideration (or advisable) like that is necessary here.
While changes to Unicode are unlikely to affect IRI syntax, any changes probably need to be evaluated against the IRI draft to decide which advice might apply.