FW: Representing anonymous individual in SemWeb Best Practice documents

FW: Representing anonymous individual in SemWeb Best Practice documents

Benedicto Rodriguez

Re: Representing anonymous individual in SemWeb Best Practice documents

Alan Rector

Bene

Apologies.  The N3 syntax may not have been checked as carefully as
it should be.
Most of us who wrote it now use the Manchester Simplified Syntax
supported by
Protege4Alpha (It is much more than an Alpha really) which you can
download from
the usual protege.stanford.edu.

It exports just about everything except N3, which most of us don't
use currently for OWL.

In that syntax:

        Person THAT has_health_status SOME Good_health_status

certainly works.   and you can make an individual

        John

of type

        has_health_status SOME Good_health_status

Note that you don't make a Fact about John but make John of type the
anonymous class.

(NB as a typographical convention we usually put the keywords in
upper case in emails and the like.  They are in lower case but
highlighted in colour in the tool).

The analogous expression works for the classes as value case.

        Book THAT dc_subject SOME Lion

(nb: we usually keep "dc:subject" itself as an annotation rather than
using it directly, to avoid various technical conflicts between the
rdf and OWL DL.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

On 17 Oct 2007, at 01:23, Benedicto Rodriguez wrote:

> [...]

-----------------------
Alan Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics
School of Computer Science
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL, UK
TEL +44 (0) 161 275 6149/6188
FAX +44 (0) 161 275 6204
www.cs.man.ac.uk/mig
www.clinical-esciences.org
www.co-ode.org

Fwd: Representing anonymous individual in SemWeb Best Practice documents

Alan Rector
All

For the future, Is there a serious requirement for OWL to be expressed in N3? The original choice was very much a compromise, and it looks like we
did not always get it right.

Regards

Alan

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Benedicto Rodriguez" <[hidden email]>
Date: 17 October 2007 01:23:10 BDT
Subject: FW: Representing anonymous individual in SemWeb Best Practice documents

RE: Representing anonymous individual in SemWeb Best Practice documents

Benedicto Rodriguez

Alan,

Thanks! I was not aware of the Manchester Simplified Syntax or its use in Protégé 4.x alpha (even though I have been using it now for a few weeks).

Nonetheless, I got around the problem with the N3 notation (and its equivalent in OWL) with the help of the folks in the OWL 1.1 mailing list.
To tie both replies, their first response is at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007OctDec/0084.html

However, I'd like to point out a follow up still in connection with the 2 references in the original post which I recap below:

[1] Representing Classes As Property Values on the Semantic Web *(Approach 4)*.
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/

[2] Representing Specified Values in OWL: "value partitions" and "value sets" *(Pattern 2, variant 2)*.
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-specified-values/

After looking for a while at the two approaches, their commonalities made me think about certain interesting modelling implications that I think are sensible and extend the patterns described in [1] and [2]. The implications and their rationale are presented below. I have tried to use an "informal" premise/conclusion format which I hope is clear.

Premise 1:
The class hierarchy represented by the value partition "HealthValue" (and its subclasses) in [2] (Pattern 2, variant 2) plays the same role as the class hierarchy represented by "Animal" (and its subclasses) in [1] (Approach 4). Meaning that both class hierarchies provide the range for the property "has_health_status" and "dc:subject" in their ontologies respectively using an anonymous individual as the property value. (Even though, has_health_status is a functional property while dc:subject is not).

Conclusion 1:
The class hierarchy represented by "Animal" (and its subclasses) in [1] extends the notion of "value partition" to any type of class hierarchy. Meaning that, also a generic class hierarchy can be used to "play the role" of a "value partition" class hierarchy as described in [2], for a property in the ontology. (Even though, a generic class hierarchy does not conform to the definition of "value partition").

Premise 2:
In ontologies that use value partitions, it is a good modelling practice to make disjoint the class hierarchies that represent the value partitions, from the class hierarchies that represent the domain concepts, creating two distinct spaces in the ontology model.

Conclusion 2:
(Putting Premise 1 and 2 together).
If a generic class hierarchy (let's call it "gch1") is used to play the role of a "value partition", then it would be a good modelling practice to make "gch1" disjoint from the class hierarchies that represent the domain concepts in the ontology.
For example: in the case of [1], the generic class hierarchy determined by the class "Animal" would be disjoint from the class hierarchy determined by the classes "Book", "BookAboutAnimals", etc. creating a disjoint "value space" and "domain concept space" in the ontology.

Premise 3:
Say two ontologies O1 and O2, with two generic class hierarchies gch1 and gch2 respectively, where gch1 and gch2 belongs to the "domain concept space" of O1 and O2 in that order as well.

Conclusion 3:
(Putting Premise 1, 2 and 3 together).
It is possible for a generic class hierarchy (gch1) that belongs to the "domain concept space" of an ontology (O1) to play the role of a "value partition" class hierarchy in another ontology (O2) and in that case:
- O1.gch1 becomes the range for some property in O2, (using an anonymous individual from gch1 as the property value) and also,
- O1.gch1 becomes part of the "value partition space" in O2 and disjoint from O2.gch2.
For example: this could be the case in [1], if the generic class hierarchy determined by the class "Animal" was imported from a separate ontology and the "Animal" class hierarchy belonged to the "domain concept space" of that ontology.

Would you (or other readers in the list) agree with any of the premises and conclusions above?

Any comments would be appreciated and very welcome.

Regards,
Bene Rodriguez

Postgraduate Student | Intelligence, Agents and Multimedia Group | School of Electronics and Computer Science | University of Southampton | Southampton SO17 1BJ | United Kingdom | Phone: +44 23 8059 5052 | Email: [hidden email]