Quantcast

Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Threaded

Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Paul Houle-2
I am wondering today what is the state of the art in terms of representing measurement units in RDF.  I break this down into four layers:

(1) Measurement units regarded as basic,  such as "meter",  "degree centigrade"
(2) Measurement units in the abstract such as "length",  "time"
(3) Measurement units created by the composition of basic units ("meters"/"seconds")
(4) So far we are representing measurement units in and of themselves,  but (4) would including associating measurement units with properties in a schema and/or specific instance values.

What is out there to address this at the various levels?

--
Paul Houle

Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems, Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   [hidden email]

:BaseKB -- Query Freebase Data With SPARQL

Legal Entity Identifier Lookup

Join our Data Lakes group on LinkedIn

Threaded

RE: Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Simon.Cox

QUDT is the most mature project in this space.

However, it has been struggling with maintenance.

http://qudt.org

[...]

Jeen Broekstra-5

Another contender is the Ontology of Units of Measure (OM), developed by
Wageningen University:

  http://www.wurvoc.org/vocabularies/om-1.8/

Probably not quite as established as QUDT, but still actively maintained. Paper
about it here (including a section comparing it with QUDT):

   http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/sites/default/files/swj177_7.pdf

Cheers,

Jeen

On 9/08/16 10:51, [hidden email] wrote:

> QUDT is the most mature project in this space.
>
> However, it has been struggling with maintenance.
>

> http://qudt.org

Dimitris Kontokostas
Hi Paul,

DBpedia has many unit datatypes for a long time now
e.g. search for datatype in http://dbpedia.org/ontology/ (they do not dereference)

Also Wikidata added units recently but I do not know details on their representation

An article you might find interesting is "Supporting Arbitrary Custom Datatypes in RDF and SPARQL"
by Maxime Lefrançois & Antoine Zimmermann

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Jeen Broekstra <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Kontokostas Dimitris
Threaded

Re: Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Eric Prud'hommeaux
The default in the clinical world is Unified Code for Units of Measure
(UCUM). 1st hit on googling for "ucum owl" was unexpectedly NOT at
bioportal: http://idi.fundacionctic.org/muo/ucum-instances.owl . It
has some specialized stuff like "in Hg". Also had "light-year", which
either makes it a general-purpose units ontology, or light-years
factor more into clinical practice than I expected.

* Dimitris Kontokostas <[hidden email]> [2016-08-19 13:37+0300]

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509
mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59

([hidden email])
email address distribution.

Threaded

Re: Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Norman Gray

Greetings.

Paul Houle asked:

>>> I am wondering today what is the state of the art in terms of
>>> representing
>>> measurement units in RDF.

As Simon Cox mentioned, QUDT <http://qudt.org> is very mature.  It's
comprehensive and thoughtful, and the authors are fully aware of the
various subtleties which can crop up with units.  That it's associated
with both TopQuadrant and NASA is a recommendation.

The current version is 1.1, the site says 'Release 2 of QUDT is being
published incrementally.', and the last update to that page was in
August 2016.

There already seems to be worryingly many units ontologies (ie, more
than one).  QUDT has worked for me (I've used it for a project
<https://bitbucket.org/nxg/unity> concerned with parsing unit strings).

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk

Threaded

Re: Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Ghislain Atemezing
Hi all,
[ my 2 cents ]

Le 19 août 2016 à 17:45, Norman Gray <[hidden email]> a écrit :

As Simon Cox mentioned, QUDT <http://qudt.org> is very mature.  It's comprehensive and thoughtful, and the authors are fully aware of the various subtleties which can crop up with units.

+1.
That it's associated with both TopQuadrant and NASA is a recommendation.

The current version is 1.1, the site says 'Release 2 of QUDT is being published incrementally.', and the last update to that page was in August 2016.

We use it to publish geodata at data.ign.fr. Here are some relevant namespaces we use:

Yes, they are at /1.1/vocab of the namespace qudt.org

There already seems to be worryingly many units ontologies (ie, more than one).

In our use- case, we used this namespace for unit: <http://qudt.org/1.1/vocab/unit#>

HTH
Ghislain

Ghislain A. Atemezing, Ph.D
R&D Engineer
@ Mondeca, Paris, France
Tel: +33 (0)1 4111 3034
Twitter: @gatemezing

Threaded

Re: Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Pat Hayes
One quick comment, QUDT seems to assume that all measure scales can be expressed as multiples of a unit, but this is not the case for some measure scales, eg Mohr hardness or the Beaufort wind scale, which are purely ordinal. No doubt this is of little importance to anyone not wishing to use an ordinal scale, however.

Pat Hayes

On Aug 19, 2016, at 8:45 AM, Norman Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Paul Houle asked:

> As Simon Cox mentioned, QUDT <http://qudt.org> is very mature.  It's comprehensive and thoughtful, and the authors are fully aware of the various subtleties which can crop up with units.  That it's associated with both TopQuadrant and NASA is a recommendation.
>
> The current version is 1.1, the site says 'Release 2 of QUDT is being published incrementally.', and the last update to that page was in August 2016.
>
> There already seems to be worryingly many units ontologies (ie, more than one).  QUDT has worked for me (I've used it for a project <https://bitbucket.org/nxg/unity> concerned with parsing unit strings).
>
> All the best,
>
> Norman
>

> --
> Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
> SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                            (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
[hidden email]       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes

Threaded

Re: Established vocabularies for units in RDF?

Sebastian Samaruga-4

Maybe this could help. I'm attempting to render metadata about RDF statements elaborating a class oriented resource kinds classification system. Basically if the object '32' is used in statements with persons and ages as their subjects and predicates I may infer that the object is a number that represent years that represents an age. This due to some heuristics and aggregation of class and meta-classes of resources according their multiple occurrences in statements.

The 'kinds' itself are reified so if there exists an 'age' object kind there will be an object reifying it as subclass of an object 'years' which could be subclass of 'integer' object. Concrete object instances (ages, durations) may be arranged in such hierarchies so triple contexts (quads) may contain, for example, time metadata (some person's age at a given moment in time).

The document I'm sending does not explain all concepts but the necessary arrangement of entities for performing the aforementioned techniques.

Sebastián.

On Aug 19, 2016 7:06 PM, "Pat Hayes" <[hidden email]> wrote:
One quick comment, QUDT seems to assume that all measure scales can be expressed as multiples of a unit, but this is not the case for some measure scales, eg Mohr hardness or the Beaufort wind scale, which are purely ordinal. No doubt this is of little importance to anyone not wishing to use an ordinal scale, however.

Pat Hayes

On Aug 19, 2016, at 8:45 AM, Norman Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Paul Houle asked:

> As Simon Cox mentioned, QUDT <http://qudt.org> is very mature.  It's comprehensive and thoughtful, and the authors are fully aware of the various subtleties which can crop up with units.  That it's associated with both TopQuadrant and NASA is a recommendation.
>
> The current version is 1.1, the site says 'Release 2 of QUDT is being published incrementally.', and the last update to that page was in August 2016.
>
> There already seems to be worryingly many units ontologies (ie, more than one).  QUDT has worked for me (I've used it for a project <https://bitbucket.org/nxg/unity> concerned with parsing unit strings).
>
> All the best,
>
> Norman
>

> --
> Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
> SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                            (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
[hidden email]       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes

Presentation1.pdf (118K) Download Attachment