Escaping and Encoding of reserved URI characters

Threaded

Escaping and Encoding of reserved URI characters

David Sheets
Reading <http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#escaping>, I am left
with the impression that the number sign (#), percent sign (%), and
square bracket characters ('[', ']') do NOT need to be escaped in a
fragment identifier subscribing to the XPointer Framework.

Have I understood this correctly? Does XPointer Framework actually
recommend a fragment identifier syntax that contradicts RFC 2396 and
its revision RFC 3986?

Specifically, I am concerned about the unescaped use of '#' inside of
fragment identifiers.

Thank you,

David Sheets