Error relating to list within paragraph

Vernon
Dear Sirs,

When checking the page whose URL is given at the foot of this message,
I was confronted by an error message in relation to the following
structure (where TEXT is the material included) :

        <ul>
                <li>TEXT</li>

                <li>TEXT</li>

        </ul>

The message said that the </p> at the end of this structure had been
found but was not preceded by a <p> tag.  I circumvented the problem
-- what ever it might have been -- by commenting out the closing </p>
tag, whereupon the validator gave me a 'clean bill of health' (so to
speak).

I think the <p> ought to be matched by a </p> and that, therefore,
this is an error in the validator.  But, hey, what do I know ?

>NOTE: Whenever possible, give the address of the document
>you were checking.

http://upperairspace.com/wildlife/avian-flu/avianflu.html

(This file contains the original </p> in the form <!-- /p -->.)

Thank you for providing this service.

Best regards,

Vernon Wright

[This message, excluding my postal address and telephone number,
replaces one otherwise identical, that it might be included in the
public archive.]

Re: Error relating to list within paragraph

David Dorward-3
On 15 Mar 2015, at 8:17, Vernon wrote:

> The message said that the </p> at the end of this structure had been
> found but was not preceded by a <p> tag.  I circumvented the problem
> -- what ever it might have been -- by commenting out the closing </p>
> tag, whereupon the validator gave me a 'clean bill of health' (so to
> speak).

The end tag for a paragraph is optional and a paragraph may not contain a list.

The ul start tag implicitly ends the paragraph. Therefore, there is no open paragraph for the paragraph end tag to end.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/