Errata for XML 1.0, 4th ed. and XML 1.1, 2nd ed.

Errata for XML 1.0, 4th ed. and XML 1.1, 2nd ed.

Dieter Köhler

In the XML 1.0, 4th ed. and XML 1.1, 2nd ed. specifications I discovered
the following two passages which seem to be incorrect:

Section 4.1, WFC: Entity Declared, last paragraph:
"... non-validating processors are not obligated to to read ..."
should be changed to
"... non-validating processors are not obligated to read ..."

In section 5.2, last paragraph:
"Applications which require DTD facilities not related to validation (such
as the declaration of default attributes and internal entities that are or
may be specified in external entities ) SHOULD use validating XML processors."
the first "not" seems to be wrong and the sentence contains a superfluous
space before the closing bracket. It should be changed to:
"Applications which require DTD facilities related to validation (such as
the declaration of default attributes and internal entities that are or may
be specified in external entities) SHOULD use validating XML processors."

It also appears to me inconvenient that in section 3.3.2, prod. 60 the
"WFC: No < in Attribute Values" and "WFC: No External Entity References"
have no visible clue, where the text of these WFCs can be found.  The WFCs
are linked correctly, but no reference is available for the reader of a
print-out of the spec.  Therefore I suggest amending the text of the links
with "see prod. 41". For consistency, I would also like to suggest changing
the order of the WFCs to match those of prod. 41 and moving them to the end
of the list. The list of VCs and WFCs of prod. 60 should look like:
   [VC: Required Attribute]
   [VC: Attribute Default Value Syntactically Correct]
   [VC: Fixed Attribute Default]
   [WFC: No External Entity References, see prod. 41]
   [WFC: No < in Attribute Values, see prod. 41]

-- d.k.

Dr. Dieter Köhler, M.A.
Wissenschaftlicher Assistent
Institut für Philosophie und
Studienzentrum Multimedia
Universität Karlsruhe (TH)

University address:
Institut für Philosophie der
Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
D-76128 Karlsruhe
GERMANY
Phone:       +49-(0)-721-608-2149
Direct Line: +49-(0)-721-608-7743
Fax:         +49-(0)-721-608-3084

Re: Errata for XML 1.0, 4th ed. and XML 1.1, 2nd ed.

Francois-15

Dieter Köhler a écrit :
> Section 4.1, WFC: Entity Declared, last paragraph:
> "... non-validating processors are not obligated to to read ..."
> should be changed to
> "... non-validating processors are not obligated to read ..."

Good catch, thanks.  This will be flagged as an erratum and corrected in
an eventual new edition.

> In section 5.2, last paragraph:
> "Applications which require DTD facilities not related to validation
> (such as the declaration of default attributes and internal entities
> that are or may be specified in external entities ) SHOULD use
> validating XML processors."
> the first "not" seems to be wrong and the sentence contains a
> superfluous space before the closing bracket. It should be changed to:
> "Applications which require DTD facilities related to validation (such
> as the declaration of default attributes and internal entities that are
> or may be specified in external entities) SHOULD use validating XML
> processors."

The first "not" is correct and intended.  DTD facilities such as
attribute defaulting have no impact on validity.  But if an application
relies on them, it should use a validating processor even though it has
no interest in assessing validity.

The superfluous space will be flagged as an erratum and corrected in an
eventual new edition.  Thanks again.

Your other comments will be addressed soon.

François Yergeau