ED URLs

Tobie Langel-3
Hi,

Seems like we're going to be able to get ED urls directly from the W3C RDF file soonish.

Would like your thoughts on how to best integrate that in the Specref API.

I see two options:

1. Pass an extra query param to specify what you want, e.g.:

Which would give you, respectively:

This has the benefit that ReSpec could be smart about it and pick ED when the spec is in ED, but change to TR for publishing WDs for example.

2. Automatically generate extra references, e.g.:

We could also do a mix of both.

LMK your thoughts.

--tobie

Re: ED URLs

Shane McCarron
I think it is important to be able to reference a specific spec.  I wouldn't want ReSpec magically deciding to change my normative reference from an editors draft to a (potentially very different) WD.

http://specref.jit.su/bibrefs?refs=service-workers&type=ED|TR|LATEST

Which would give you, respectively:

This has the benefit that ReSpec could be smart about it and pick ED when the spec is in ED, but change to TR for publishing WDs for example.

2. Automatically generate extra references, e.g.:

We could also do a mix of both.

LMK your thoughts.

--tobie

Re: ED URLs

Marcos Caceres-4

On June 12, 2014 at 10:06:11 AM, Shane McCarron ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I think it is important to be able to reference a specific spec. I
> wouldn't want ReSpec magically deciding to change my normative reference
> from an editors draft to a (potentially very different) WD.

Having choice is great. This would be really useful.

Re: ED URLs

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Tobie Langel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Seems like we're going to be able to get ED urls directly from the W3C RDF
> file soonish.
>
> Would like your thoughts on how to best integrate that in the Specref API.
>
> I see two options:
>
> 1. Pass an extra query param to specify what you want, e.g.:
>
> http://specref.jit.su/bibrefs?refs=service-workers&type=ED|TR|LATEST
>
> Which would give you, respectively:
>
> - https://slightlyoff.github.io/ServiceWorker/spec/service_worker/
> - http://www.w3.org/TR/service-workers/
> - http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-service-workers-20140508/
>
> This has the benefit that ReSpec could be smart about it and pick ED when
> the spec is in ED, but change to TR for publishing WDs for example.

This is what Bikeshed currently does when autolinking.  However, I
agree that normative refs probably shouldn't be auto-changed.

~TJ

Re: ED URLs

Tobie Langel-3
Just opened a pull request[1] that adds available editor's drafts to Specref entries (thanks to work by Denis and Jérémie from the systeam).

I am not exposing this data yet as I'd like to get a better feel for how to best do so.

Use cases welcomed.

Thanks,

--tobie

Re: ED URLs

Tobie Langel-3
Hi all,

FYI, now exposing ED drafts as `edDraft` on Specreg, e.g.:

Best,

--tobie