Does a SMIL with mul mpegs result into 1 mp4 file eventually ?

Does a SMIL with mul mpegs result into 1 mp4 file eventually ?

Datta321
Does a SMIL file having multiple mpeg-4 files being played sequentially or in parallel, eventually get converted into 1 mp4 file during playback ? Given below is one such SMIL file, which plays 2 video clips in parallel, when played in a media player.

It has been observed that while using IBMToolkitForMpeg420061204 tool the following  conversions resulted

SMIL -> XMT-0 ->(using XMTBatch.exe) .mp4 -> (using MP4BOX tool) BIFS (Had 2 streams for audio and video, 1 for each clip.)

 It this always true and takes place internally, when a SMIL file is being played by media players ?

<smil>
  <head>
  <layout>
     <root-layout height="184" width="376"  background-color="yellow" />
       <region id="video1" left="0"   top="0" height="144" width="176" z-index="2"/>
       <region id="video2" left="140" top="0" height="144" width="376" z-index="1"/>
  </layout>
   </head>
      <par>
      <video src="Malamor_DV_QT_f.mp4"  region="video1" />
      <video src="betelnutbeauty_trailer_f.mp4"  region="video2" />

      </par>
</smil>

  Regards,
(Dattaprassanna M. Singbal)

Re: Does a SMIL with mul mpegs result into 1 mp4 file eventually ?

Jack Jansen

On 28 mei 2010, at 15:48, Datta321 wrote:

> Does a SMIL file having multiple mpeg-4 files being played sequentially or in parallel, eventually get converted into 1 mp4 file during playback ? Given below is one such SMIL file, which plays 2 video clips in parallel, when played in a media player. It has been observed that while using IBMToolkitForMpeg420061204 tool the following conversions resulted SMIL -> XMT-0 ->(using XMTBatch.exe) .mp4 -> (using MP4BOX tool) BIFS (Had 2 streams for audio and video, 1 for each clip.) It this always true and takes place internally, when a SMIL file is being played by media players ?
> Regards, (Dattaprassanna M. Singbal)
> Sent from the w3.org - www-smil mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

If you include XMT-O in MP4 you can convert quite a few SMIL presentations into MP4. I don't think the two functionalities match 100%, but there's quite a bit of overlap.
But note that XMT-O/BIFS support in mp4 players is something you hardly ever see: it may be that the format is has even fewer implementations than SMIL.

The SMIL players that I'm familiar with all turn the SMIL document into some sort of a graph and then execute that graph. This is definitely true for Ambulant and GRiNS (that I've helped develop) but also for the other players for which I've seen the code.
--
Jack Jansen, <[hidden email]>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack