Direct input versus file upload results mismatch

Threaded

Direct input versus file upload results mismatch

Paola U.

Hello,

I usually use W3C-QA tools to validate XHTML  pages  and CSS before publishing.
So I was a little bit surprised getting validation error through valid icons
link in my web pages. To check if code was really wrong I copied the source
code using the' view source code' in my Firefox browser and pasted it at
address:
http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

getting a valid result again!

Revalidating the wrong result by checking the 'Clean up Markup with HTML
Tidy' box I could verify that the problem arises in the nested ul tags used
as navigation menues. Tiny added an extra empty <li class="c2"> tag.

You may verify this at address:

http://www.skeni.it/it/presentazione.html

I checked also pages:

http://www.skeni.it/it/progettazione.html
and
http://www.skeni.it/it/allestimenti.html

getting analogous results.

Looking forward to your answer as soon as possible.

Have a nice evening,

Paola Ugliano
Italy

***********************************
Paola Ugliano
Architettura dell'Informazione

Prima di stampare questo messaggio chiediti se ne puoi fare a meno.....

                                   .....l'ambiente ringrazia!

Threaded

Re: Direct input versus file upload results mismatch

olivier Thereaux

Dear Paola,

On 14-May-08, at 10:25 AM, Paola U. wrote:
> So I was a little bit surprised getting validation error through
> valid icons
> link in my web pages. To check if code was really wrong I copied the
> source
> code using the' view source code' in my Firefox browser and pasted
> it at
> address:
> http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input
> getting a valid result again!

It looks like you are using ASP.net, which is unfortunately known to
serve proper XHTML to browsers and pathologically broken markup to
other user agents, including the markup validator.

This is _not_ a bug in the W3C Tools.

For more information on this “feature” in ASP.net, and how to work
around it, see this document:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exc57y7e.aspx
and in particular the section "Configuring Browser Capabilities for
Markup Validation".

olivier