Definition of blob URI Scheme

Philippe Le Hegaret
Hi Mark,

I'd like to check with you my understanding of RFC 4395 [1].

The FIle API specification contains the definition of the blob URI
scheme [2]. Following the registration procedure, my understanding is
that:
1- Arun should reformat section 6.7.1 [2] (or include a new section) to
follow the template at [3];
2- Once our specification is in LC, Arun should send an email to
[hidden email] asking for review (and address whatever comments
come out of that);
3- At CR, Arun should request registration from IANA ([hidden email]),
asking for provisional status;
4- At PR (or REC?), Arun should request permanent status from IANA.

Do you concur with those steps?

Philippe

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395#page-9
[2] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#ABNFForBlob
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395#section-5.4

Re: Definition of blob URI Scheme

Mark Davis ☕
You may have me confused with someone else...

Mark
— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:01, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mark Nottingham-2
Hi Philippe.

On 22/06/2011, at 5:01 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I'd like to check with you my understanding of RFC 4395 [1].
>
> The FIle API specification contains the definition of the blob URI
> scheme [2]. Following the registration procedure, my understanding is
> that:
> 1- Arun should reformat section 6.7.1 [2] (or include a new section) to
> follow the template at [3];

FWIW I'd put the template in an appendix.

> 2- Once our specification is in LC, Arun should send an email to
> [hidden email] asking for review (and address whatever comments
> come out of that);

What status are you going for -- permanent or provisional?

> 3- At CR, Arun should request registration from IANA ([hidden email]),
> asking for provisional status;
> 4- At PR (or REC?), Arun should request permanent status from IANA.

I'll check into this.

Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

Re: Definition of blob URI Scheme

Mark Nottingham-2
Philippe -

I discussed this with the expert for URI scheme registration.

Re (1) - It's common practice in the IETF to place the registration template in the document, but this isn't strictly required; you could just submit the template separate, in the request to IANA.

Re (2) - it isn't necessary to wait until LC to get review on the list.

Re (3) - It's possible to request provision registration as soon as the URI-review feedback has been dealt with -- no need to wait for CR.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/