[DataCache] Status and plans for Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving?

[DataCache] Status and plans for Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving?

Arthur Barstow
Hi All,

During WebApps' November 1 gathering at the TPAC, we discussed [Mins] the WG's "Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving" spec, last updated by Nikunj in January 2010 [DataCache].

During this discussion, I agreed to the following related actions:

ACTION-599 "Ask Nikunj to report the status and plans of Programmable Cache to public-webapps"
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/599

ACTION-600 "Ask Oracle about their level of interest in Programmable Cache"
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/600

ACTION-601 "Ask public-webapps about creating Use Cases and requirements of Program App Caches versus HTML5 App Cache"
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/601

ACTION-602 "Contact julian reschke and Mark Nottingham about Data Cache"
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/602

My short summary of this discussion is: it isn't clear if there is sufficient interest to continue this spec and if there is interest, what are the specific use cases it will address (i.e. use cases not addressed by HTML5 AppCache), and who is willing to commit to drive the spec forward.

-Art Barstow

[ tracker tags: ACTION-599, ACTION-600, ACTION-601, ACTION-602 ]

[Mins] http://www.w3.org/2010/11/01-webapps-minutes.html#item05
[DataCache] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DataCache/

Re: [DataCache] Status and plans for Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving?

Michael Nordman
There are two distinct parts to the DataCache draft. http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-DataCache-20091029/
1. The DataCache part, programmatically adding resources to the cache, the DataCache part.
2. The LocalServer part, having application script determine/produce the response to a request, handling 'POST's in the absence of a server.

To satisfy the use cases motivating the first item (bulk storage with URL addressability), we've (chrome) been pushing on WebFileSystem and blob URL. The latter part has been left languishing.

I'm all for incremental progress on the "local server" like missing parts, specifically starting with "what to do about query arguments", in the context of the appcache. We (chrome) have specific requests to improve things in that area. I think we could make faster progress if we handle some of these requests as incremental additions to the HTML5 AppCache spec instead of resurrecting DataCache draft.

At least, that's my $0.02.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Arthur Barstow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mark Nottingham-4
Hi Art,

FWIW - I think improving the integration of HTTP caching into the browser (with APIs and protocol extensions as necessary) is a very interesting topic, and if WebApps wanted to work in this area, that would be great. However, I'm not sure that spec is an appropriate starting point.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham       [hidden email]