DELETE Content-Type / : deleting specific representation

DELETE Content-Type / : deleting specific representation

Reto Gmür

Hello,

I'm wondering if the DELETE method can be used to to remove only a
specific representation of a resource - can the Content-Type and
Content-Language headers be used to specify the representation to be
deleted? Is there another solution?

thanks,
reto

Re: DELETE Content-Type / : deleting specific representation

Yves Lafon

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if the DELETE method can be used to to remove only a specific
> representation of a resource - can the Content-Type and Content-Language
> headers be used to specify the representation to be deleted? Is there another
> solution?

When you retrieve the resource you want to Delete, you may have a
Content-Location indicating the real URI served, in that case, you can do
the DELETE on this one.

--
Yves Lafon - W3C

Re: DELETE Content-Type / : deleting specific representation

Reto Gmür

Thanks, but the individual representations have nor URI on its own -
maybe I should change this, but till now I was quite happy with the
architecture of my http-server: the first handler handling a request
removes extensions (if present) and changes the accept- (or content- on
PUT) type/language headers accordingly, a later handler uses the
information in an RDF model to determine the best available
representation which is then retrieved by its urn:hash from a store. The
representations are modeled in RDF as anonymous resources, so that no
"uncool" URIs are in there.

reto