DAV and Microsoft Web Folders

Gillen, David S

Hello all,

I'm new to Jigsaw and am very intrigued by its architecture.  We are
interested in deploying it as a WebDAV server, but we can't seem to get
the built-in Microsoft Web Folders WebDAV client to recognize Jigsaw as
a WebDAV server.  I can connect to Jigsaw with DAVExplorer, so I know I
have WebDAV configured and running properly within Jigsaw, and I've used
Web Folders to connect to other WebDAV servers (like mod_dav).  Is there
some special setting I need to change to make Microsoft Web Folders
recognize Jigsaw?  I get the generic error that the folder I specified
is not valid

I'm running Jigsaw WebDav 2.1.2 as the server on my Windows PC, and also
running Windows XP as the WebDAV client.

Thanks in advance!
-Dave Gillen

Re: DAV and Microsoft Web Folders

Yves Lafon

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Gillen, David S wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to Jigsaw and am very intrigued by its architecture.  We are
> interested in deploying it as a WebDAV server, but we can't seem to get
> the built-in Microsoft Web Folders WebDAV client to recognize Jigsaw as
> a WebDAV server.  I can connect to Jigsaw with DAVExplorer, so I know I
> have WebDAV configured and running properly within Jigsaw, and I've used
> Web Folders to connect to other WebDAV servers (like mod_dav).  Is there
> some special setting I need to change to make Microsoft Web Folders
> recognize Jigsaw?  I get the generic error that the folder I specified
> is not valid
>
> I'm running Jigsaw WebDav 2.1.2 as the server on my Windows PC, and also
> running Windows XP as the WebDAV client.

Ah it is a very old version of Jigsaw, you might want to upgrade to the
latest release, lots of things has been added in the WebDAV support to
provide better compatibility with the behaviour of some clients.
To do so, just update the jars, with the one in the new release, it will
automatically update the configuration of your existing setup.

Yves Lafon - W3C

RE: DAV and Microsoft Web Folders

Gillen, David S

Thank you for the reply, but it still does not seem to work with Microsoft Web Folders.  Here is what I did:

- Downloaded Jigsaw 2.2.5a
- Copied the jar files in Jigsaw\classes from the 2.2.5a dist to the jigsaw_webdav_2.1.2 dist I previously downloaded
- Launch jigsaw.bat
- verify it works with DAV Explorer - success!
- try to set up a new "network place" and get "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid" - failed

Any other ideas?  Did I miss something in my process?

Thanks!
-Dave

RE: DAV and Microsoft Web Folders

Gillen, David S

I did a little snooping around, and noticed that Jigsaw does not add the MS-Author-Via header to its response messages.  This header is not part of the WebDAV standard, but is included in many WebDAV server implementations to be compatible with Microsoft clients.  I added the header to my own copy of the Jigsaw source, and bingo!  Jogsaw started working with Microsoft WebDAV clients.  Any chance of including this header in a future release of Jigsaw, or making it a configurable option?

-Dave

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Gillen, David S wrote:

> I did a little snooping around, and noticed that Jigsaw does not add the
> MS-Author-Via header to its response messages.  This header is not part
> of the WebDAV standard, but is included in many WebDAV server
> implementations to be compatible with Microsoft clients.  I added the
> header to my own copy of the Jigsaw source, and bingo!  Jogsaw started
> working with Microsoft WebDAV clients.  Any chance of including this
> header in a future release of Jigsaw, or making it a configurable
> option?

Hum, indeed this header is present in the WebDAV I set up for myself.
Another issue, when you use password protected zone is the fact that one
component may send username\machine as the username. There is a "lenient"
flag in the AclRealm in the AclFilter to cope with that.

For the MS-Author-Via: DAV header, the best way is to add on the DAVFrame
of the root document a HeaderFilter
with "header-name" -> MS-Author-Via
and with "header-value" -> DAV
all other option unticked.