Creating a new server handler?

Laird, Brian-2

I am working on creating a new server handler which would startup the embedded version of tomcat (5.5).  I need a little more of a sophisticated servlet/jsp container that what jigsaw offers through the normal stuff.  Plus, I figured it could be added back into the Jigsaw source to be used by other people.

Anyways, here is my question.  I created a class called TomcatDaemon which extends the following interfaces: ServerHandler, PropertyMonitoring, Status.  I am able to start tomcat and get it to serve up content with no problem.  My issue is that when I open the admin GUI, I get a nice big dialog box proclaiming “Unknown Resource” with a bunch of squares after it.  After clicking “o.k.” the GUI does show up but there is nothing in it.  So I can’t configure my other regular jigsaw servers the way I want.  How can I get the GUI to either ignore the tomcat daemon instance or show it and just have nothing for the admin to configure?

Thank you in advance for the help,

Brian

This e-mail and any accompanying documents or files contain information that is the
property of HAVI Global Solutions, that is intended solely for those to whom this e-mail is addressed
(i.e., those identified in the "To" and "Cc" boxes), and that is confidential, proprietary,
and/or privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any viewing, use, disclosure, forwarding, copying, or distribution of any of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be subject to legal sanctions.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately of any unintended
recipients, and delete the e-mail, all attachments, and all copies of both from your system.

While we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachments to this e-mail
have been swept for viruses, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a
result of software viruses.

Re: Creating a new server handler?

Yves Lafon

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Laird, Brian wrote:

> I am working on creating a new server handler which would startup the
> embedded version of tomcat (5.5).  I need a little more of a
> sophisticated servlet/jsp container that what jigsaw offers through the
> normal stuff.  Plus, I figured it could be added back into the Jigsaw
> source to be used by other people.

That would be a good interim for a full fledge implementation in Jigsaw
(the issue I guess is mainly with the servlet filters, no?)

> Anyways, here is my question.  I created a class called TomcatDaemon
> which extends the following interfaces: ServerHandler,
> PropertyMonitoring, Status.  I am able to start tomcat and get it to
> serve up content with no problem.  My issue is that when I open the
> admin GUI, I get a nice big dialog box proclaiming "Unknown Resource"
> with a bunch of squares after it.  After clicking "o.k." the GUI does
> show up but there is nothing in it.  So I can't configure my other
> regular jigsaw servers the way I want.  How can I get the GUI to either
> ignore the tomcat daemon instance or show it and just have nothing for
> the admin to configure?

Could you try to implement ServerInterface? This one is the resource, and
the gui only deals with resources, so that might explain the issue you are
facing.

Yves Lafon - W3C

RE: Creating a new server handler?

Laird, Brian-2

I haven't had any problems with the servlet filters as of yet.

I can try the ServerInterface but how will the jigsaw startup work?  I thought the classes listed in the server.props file had to be of type ServerHandler.

One other note, I tried to make a resource out of the tomcat embedded server and it didn't work at all, mainly, because I could not get the tomcat instance to decide it like my requests.

I may try Jetty to see if that interface is any easier to use.  From what I have read so far, tomcat wasn't meant to be embedded in this way but boy it would nice if we could pull it off.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Laird, Brian wrote:

> I haven't had any problems with the servlet filters as of yet.
>
> I can try the ServerInterface but how will the jigsaw startup work?  I
> thought the classes listed in the server.props file had to be of type
> ServerHandler.

The ServerHandlerManager is in charge of starting all the servers (it
reads the server.props, finds the name and the class to start. It should
be possible to start a tomcat engine from there. Also this class is able
(on Unix systems) to start the server at root, and change the
uid/gid/chroot for security reason (hence the "strange" way to do the
startup).

> One other note, I tried to make a resource out of the tomcat embedded
> server and it didn't work at all, mainly, because I could not get the
> tomcat instance to decide it like my requests.

Ah if there is a need to translate request object, it may also have a
cost, but it's probably doable, with tricks if the streams are not the
same (you can take a look at the servlet wrapper to see how fun it was to
mix input and output streams :) ).

> I may try Jetty to see if that interface is any easier to use.  From
> what I have read so far, tomcat wasn't meant to be embedded in this way
> but boy it would nice if we could pull it off.

Be it Jetty or Tomcat, any "better" implementation of the servlet stuff is
welcomed :)
Thanks,

--
Yves Lafon - W3C