Comments on Time Ontology in OWL

Stijn "Adhemar" Vandamme

All,

The last version of "Time Ontology in OWL" at [0] is the W3C Working
Draft Wednesday 27 September 2006.

I wanted to make a few comments. For examples, see below.
However, by looking a little further, I found that the comments I wanted
to make (ant a lot more others) are already raised at [1] which is dated
Tuesday 17 April 2007, revised Thursday 19 April 2007.

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen posted these comments to this list on Wednesday
20 June 2007 [2].
On Wednesday 4 July 2007, Jerry Hobbs replied [3]:

 > Thank you very much for your detailed comments on the OWL-Time
 > ontology. Your observations deserve a detailed response. However,
 > project deadlines and travel schedules preclude that right now.
 > I will get back to you with a full reply in August.

I'm left with the following questions, I hope someone can answer me:

Has there ever been a reply to all these comments [1]?
If so, where can I find it?
Is there currently still any activity on the Time Ontology?

Regards,
Stijn “Adhemar” Vandamme

[0] Time Ontology in OWL - W3C Working Draft
<http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-time/>
[1] Notes on Time Ontology <http://www.w3.org/XML/2007/qts-timeont-comments>
[2] Comments on Time Ontology document
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2007Jun/0008.html>
[3] Re: comments on Time Ontology document
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2007Jul/0000.html>
[4] Inter Gravissimas - definition of (the leap year rules of) the
Gregorian calendar
<http://www.bluewaterarts.com/calendar/NewInterGravissimas.htm>
[5] ISO 8601:2004(E) - Data elements and interchange formats -
Information interchange - Representation of dates and times
<http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/4021199/ISO_8601_2004_E.zip?func=doc.Fetch&nodeid=4021199>
[6] The world time zone instance file in OWL
<http://www.w3.org/2006/timezone-world>
[7] Sources for Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time Data - the Olson tz
zoneinfo database <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm>

My comments (examples):

[a] The document does not specify Gregorian calendar [4] is used (which
seems likely) and does not specify whether that same calendar is used
proleptically (i.e. for Gregorian calendar: prior to Friday 15 October
1582 (or Thursday 14 September 1752; or…))
[b] The document refers to GMT without specifying what the actual used
system of time is: UTC, UT0, UT1, TAI, mean solar time, Terrestrial
Time, …) Since UTC is not specifically mentioned, it is not clear
whether leap seconds can be used and how they are treated.
[c] Sunday 1 January 2006 (used notation is 01/01/2006, which is not per
ISO 8601 [5]) is claimed to be in the first week of the year. According
to what week numbering system? ISO 8601 [5] point 2.2.10 claims differently.
[d] The world time zone instance file [6] is not complete. There exists
a more exhaustive collaborative compilation project that attempts to to
record historical time zones and all civil changes since 1970: the Olson
tz zoneinfo database [7].
[e] The boolean observesDaylightSavingsTime is time-dependent.

RE: Comments on Time Ontology in OWL

Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)

Stijn,

The Semantic Web Best Practices working group has ended, though this mailing list still exists.  You might check with the Semantic Web Interest Group:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/interest/

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  [hidden email]
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.