Closing CDF WG, Publishing Specs as Notes

Closing CDF WG, Publishing Specs as Notes

Doug Schepers-3
Hi, CDF folks-

While we had hoped that more implementations might emerge that passed
the CDF and WICD test suites [1], such that these specifications would
meet the criteria as W3C Recommendations, it does not seem that this
will happen in a reasonable timeframe.  Despite good partial
implementation experience, implementers have not show sufficient
interest to justify further investment of W3C resources into this group,
even at a background level.

In order to clarify the status of the CDF WG specifications, including
Compound Document by Reference Framework 1.0 [2], Web Integration
Compound Document (WICD) Core 1.0 [3], WICD Mobile 1.0 [4], and WICD
Full 1.0 [5], all in Candidate Recommendation phase since July 2007, we
have decided to publish them as Working Group Notes instead, and to
close the Compound Document Formats Working Group.

We are grateful for all the work that many people did in creating,
reviewing, and implementing these specifications and supporting
material, including the test suite [1].  We feel that despite not
becoming W3C Recommendations, there is some very good work in these
specifications, and the SVG Working Group has expressed interest in
taking on and updating some of the content and tests for the integration
of SVG in HTML, which does have considerable interest by browser
vendors, so the effort this group put forth will still bear fruit.

If there are any objections to closing this group, or to publishing the
specifications as WG Notes, please respond with a rationale within one
week, before 20 July 2010.  Further interest in the topic of compound
documents should be directed to the HTML or SVG Working Groups, or other
groups as appropriate.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/TestSuite/WICD_CDR_WP1/index.xhtml
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CDR-20070718/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-WICD-20070718/