Can an element's QName value be without a prefix?

Can an element's QName value be without a prefix?

Costello, Roger L.
Hi Folks,

Suppose an element is declared to be of type QName:

<element name="example" type="QName" />

In an instance document, can the value of <example> be without a namespace prefix:

<example>Hello</example>

If yes, then what is the namespace URI for Hello?

Suppose I declare a default namespace:

<document xmlns="http://www.example.org">
      <example>Hello</example>
</document>

Is Hello in the http://www.example.org namespace?

/Roger

Re: Can an element's QName value be without a prefix?

Michael Kay

On 12/03/2012 22:28, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Suppose an element is declared to be of type QName:
>
> <element name="example" type="QName" />
>
> In an instance document, can the value of<example>  be without a namespace prefix:
>
> <example>Hello</example>
Yes.

> If yes, then what is the namespace URI for Hello?
>
> Suppose I declare a default namespace:
>
> <document xmlns="http://www.example.org">
>        <example>Hello</example>
> </document>
>
> Is Hello in the http://www.example.org namespace?
Yes.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#QName, which also discusses how
QNames are validated if they appear in a context other than an XML
document - basically it depends on the host language.

Michael Kay
Saxonica