Can SMIL read/send http response/request using query string ?

Can SMIL read/send http response/request using query string ?

Datta321
Is it possible to read http response, received after sending query string to a server, through a SMIL file.
In this scenario, the SMIL first sends a request and then receives the response.
       If so, can anyone let me know of a site, explaining the same with an example and the syntax for the same ?

Re: Can SMIL read/send http response/request using query string ?

Jack Jansen

On 7 jul 2010, at 14:15, Datta321 wrote:

> Is it possible to read http response, received after sending query string to
> a server, through a SMIL file.
> In this scenario, the SMIL first sends a request and then receives the
> response.
>       If so, can anyone let me know of a site, explaining the same with an
> example and the syntax for the same ?

To a limited extent, with the SMIL State <send> and <submission> elements. See <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-SMIL3-20081201/smil-state.html#q34> for the formal details (and an example). You may also want to check the SMIL Language Profile section (which has some details on the methods supported) and possibly the XForms specification (after which this was modeled).

What this looks like, from the server side, is as if a form (HTML form or XForms form) has been filled in and submitted by the user (with SMIL state variables being the data entered into the form). The replace and target attributes allow you to determine what to do with the server response: if its a set of form values you probably want to use replace=instance to store the values in the SMIL state, if it's a SMIL document (or possibly something like an HTML document, or so) replace=all. That said, if you're using Ambulant to play things I wouldn't count on the latter being fully implemented, let us hear of any issues you encounter.
--
Jack Jansen, <[hidden email]>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack