Can OWL model calculation knowledge

Threaded

Can OWL model calculation knowledge

S Z-2
Hi,

I have encountered a problem that how to use OWL to model the knowledge of calculation.
A simple example can be seen as the following:

The knowledge about calculating tax is expressed as:
Tax = TotalAmount * taxRate

I could not figure out a way to do it in OWL.
Can OWL only express the logical relations among classes?
Please help? Many thanks!

Su

Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage. Get it now.
Threaded

Re: Can OWL model calculation knowledge

Alan Ruttenberg-2

OWL can not calculate the results of such expressions.

It can model the calculation, in the sense of supplying enough
information to some interpreter to do that calculation. See for
example: http://neno.lanl.gov/Home.html

-Alan

On Sep 6, 2007, at 3:41 AM, s z wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have encountered a problem that how to use OWL to model the
> knowledge of calculation.
> A simple example can be seen as the following:
>
> The knowledge about calculating tax is expressed as:
> Tax = TotalAmount * taxRate
>
> I could not figure out a way to do it in OWL.
> Can OWL only express the logical relations among classes?
> Please help? Many thanks!
>
> Su
>
> Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited
> storage. Get it now.

Threaded

Re: Can OWL model calculation knowledge

Dan Connolly

> On Sep 6, 2007, at 3:41 AM, s z wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have encountered a problem that how to use OWL to model the
> > knowledge of calculation.
> > A simple example can be seen as the following:
> >
> > The knowledge about calculating tax is expressed as:
> > Tax = TotalAmount * taxRate

It's also somewhat straightforward to express this sort
of thing using rules. Using N3 rules, it would look like:

{ ?TRX subtotal ?X.
  ?TRX taxRate ?Y.
  (?X ?Y) math:product ?TOTAL. }
=> { ?TRX tax ?TOTAL }.

For details on N3, see
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3

N3 is a somewhat experimental design; the W3C
Rule Interchange Format is working on a standard
for rule interchange. They have released drafts
such as:

RIF Core Design
W3C Working Draft 30 March 2007
This version:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-rif-core-20070330
Latest version:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-core

I write about rules in a category of my blog...
http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/taxonomy/term/30

Hmm... public-owl-dev might be a better mailing list
than public-webont-comments, as we're not really
discussing details of the text of the spec.