Call for Discussion: Help with use cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document

Call for Discussion: Help with use cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document

Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL

Dear WAI Interest Group,

We, the APA Web Payments sub-group, need your help. We would love to hear about personal experiences and frustrating issues that you, as persons with disabilities, have encountered, or might expect to encounter, when making payments on the web or using mobile devices when you're out and about.

HISTORY:

The APA Web Payments sub-group, falls under the W3C’s Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group. As many of you know APA’s mission is to ensure W3C specifications provide support for accessibility to people with disabilities.

TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION:

Our sub-group for Web Payments is working on Use Cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document. This document is intended to present the accessibility requirements and needs that users with disabilities have with respect to making payments on the web.

We will be collecting your personal experiences and turning them into use cases for the PAUR.

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE:

Please respond to *this* email list at: [hidden email]. If you share this email with others who are not on this list, please be sure that they understand they need to subscribe to this list before they can directly post here. See HOW TO SUBSCRIBE below.

Please send your experiences, thoughts and feedback by September 1st.

We also would welcome those with technical expertise in web payment design/development, finance and accessibility to join our sub-group.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE:

Users will need to subscribe before they can directly post to this list. To join/subscribe to the WAI IG list, send an email to [hidden email] with “subscribe” as the subject line. Also, please invite your friends to join us on the WAI IG.

Thank you for your support!

​​​​​

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Principal ICT Accessibility Architect
Chair, W3C WAI (Web Accessibility Initiative) Interest Group (
@w3c_wai)

JOIN US: Subscribe to the WAI IG list, send an email to [hidden email] with “subscribe” as the subject line.

Personal: Cell: 703-371-5545 | [hidden email] | Oakton, VA | LinkedIn Profile | Office: 703-371-5545 | @ryladog

Re: Call for Discussion: Help with use cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document

Léonie Watson-5
On 04/08/2016 22:56, Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL wrote:
> We, the APA Web Payments sub-group, need your help. We would love to
> hear about personal experiences and frustrating issues that you, as
> persons with disabilities, have encountered, or might expect to
> encounter, when making payments on the web or using mobile devices when
> you're out and about.

One thing I find difficult, is knowing when contactless payment options
are available. I'm blind so can't see the Apple Pay (or whatever)
notices that stores display.

HTH
Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

Re: Call for Discussion: Help with use cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document

Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL

Great one Leonie. Thank you!

Katie Haritos-Shea
703-371-5545

On Aug 5, 2016 5:20 AM, "Léonie Watson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/08/2016 22:56, Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL wrote:
We, the APA Web Payments sub-group, need your help. We would love to
hear about personal experiences and frustrating issues that you, as
persons with disabilities, have encountered, or might expect to
encounter, when making payments on the web or using mobile devices when
you're out and about.

One thing I find difficult, is knowing when contactless payment options are available. I'm blind so can't see the Apple Pay (or whatever) notices that stores display.

HTH
Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

RE: Call for Discussion: Help with use cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document

Sean Murphy (seanmmur)

Is the query purely related to mobile devices, web sites? What about FPoS and ATM’s?

Some issues I have come across as a blind user and heard of:

1.       Sites which display security related information as a graphic . Two examples:

a.       Was given a pre-pay credit card which displayed the access pin as a graphic.

b.       Verifying the pin access code on another card and the details were display as a graphic.

2.       Poorly design web sites and mobile apps. Some barriers are related to the security method used to gain access to the site.

What is the timeline as well. Since I will share the information with a group I belong too, to get their input.

Sean Murphy

Accessibility Software engineer

[hidden email]

Think before you print.

@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

RE: Call for Discussion: Help with use cases for the Payment Accessibility User Requirements (PAUR) document

Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL

Sean,

Thanks for this feedback.

The query is only related to payments that happen on the web and mobile via the web and when our devices interact with payment UIs.

The due date is September 1.

Thanks!

Katie Haritos-Shea
703-371-5545