[CSS21] padding-[ left | right ]-applies-to-* reference file; "visible"; "on the page"; prefixing ref-

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[CSS21] padding-[ left | right ]-applies-to-* reference file; "visible"; "on the page"; prefixing ref-

Gérard Talbot-3
Ms2ger, Geoffrey Sneddon

I see you have created and submitted reference files for many CSS2.1
tests recently. This is welcomed and great. The reference files are okay
with me. Some comments though...

1-
You missed the "to-" string in the link. Shepherd reports the broken
links for those tests.

Example given:

line 9:  <link rel="match" href="padding-left-applies-010-ref.xht"/>

should be instead

         <link rel="match" href="padding-left-applies-to-010-ref.xht"/>


http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/margin-padding-clear/padding-left-applies-to-010.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/margin-padding-clear/padding-left-applies-to-010-ref.xht

This seems to affect padding-[ left | right ]-applies-to-[ 008 | 010 |
036 | 047 ] tests.


2-
"visible"

Anything that shortens the pass-fail-conditions sentence of a test,
without compromising its understanding for a tester, helps. This is
particularly true if a test suite has 1000 tests or more!

Any words or expressions that can be removed from the
pass-fail-conditions sentence without causing confusion or
interpretation is, in my opinion, welcomed and best. Words like "red
visible" are pleonastic, redundant in meaning.

We presumed that testers taking the test suite are not blind and do not
have any kind of incapacitating daltonism condition or some kind of
color vision illness or incapacity. Mentioning a color implies by itself
that it can be viewed, that it is visible by senses.

So, whenever I read "no red visible" in a test, I have usually removed
the word "visible". Same thing with the words:

invisible
viewable
appearing
present
anywhere
displayed
you can see
(
http://test.csswg.org/source/compositing-1/mix-blend-mode/mix-blend-mode-blending-with-sibling.html 
)
You should see
(http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/inlines-013.htm)
you can view

We presumed that testers have eyes, can see, can view, etc...

If, one day, there is an aural test suite, then words like "you can
hear", "the sound of", etc... will not be useful or needed ... because
we will presume, postulate that people taking the aural test suite have
normal hearing capabilities, normal auditive capabilities.

eg:
Test passes if you can hear the sound of a dog barking.
can safely become
Test passes if there is a *dog barking*.

3-
"in the page"

Since 95% (or so) of all tests starts with a sentence stating the pass
and fail conditions, then "below", "below this line", "after this
sentence", "under this paragraph", "in this page", etc.. are all
evident, pleonastic.

So, whenever I read "in the page" in a test, I have usually removed such
words. Same thing with the words:

on the screen
(
http://test.csswg.org/source/compositing-1/mix-blend-mode/mix-blend-mode-blending-with-sibling.html 
  )
below
below this line (eg
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/replaced-intrinsic-002.htm)
after this line
below this sentence
after this sentence
below this paragraph (eg
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/abspos-001.htm)
under this paragraph (eg
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/tables-002.htm)
in the next paragraph
after this
following
which follows

These are useless, empty-meaning, pleonastic or self-evident or
irrelevant words; they can be safely removed without affecting
understanding of pass/fail conditions... unless, of course, the
pass-fail-conditions sentence is not at the top of the page.

So, I would have most likely removed the "visible on the page" chunk
from the

http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/no-red-on-blank-page-ref.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/no-red-filler-text-ref.xht

and from its associated (125 , 78) tests.

4-
Prefixing "ref" for very frequently reused reference files

"
There are several common references, such as those used for parsing and
selectors tests. Their names begin with ref- so they can be easily found
in the reftest directory.
"
https://wiki.csswg.org/test/reftest#the-reftest-reference-file
[I can not find this info in the new documentation...]

If the reference file is very frequently reused, then we have the
convention of prefixing its filename with ref and not suffixing it.

So, here,

ref-no-red-on-blank-page

ref-no-red-filler-text

filenames was better.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-format-guidelines.html

Test Style Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-style-guidelines.html

Test Templates
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-templates.html

CSS Naming Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-naming.html

Test Review Checklist
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/review-checklist.html

CSS Metadata
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-metadata.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CSS21] padding-[ left | right ]-applies-to-* reference file; "visible"; "on the page"; prefixing ref-

Ms2ger
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 08/21/2015 09:57 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:

> Ms2ger, Geoffrey Sneddon
>
> I see you have created and submitted reference files for many
> CSS2.1 tests recently. This is welcomed and great. The reference
> files are okay with me. Some comments though...
>
> 1- You missed the "to-" string in the link. Shepherd reports the
> broken links for those tests.
>
> Example given:
>
> line 9:  <link rel="match"
> href="padding-left-applies-010-ref.xht"/>
>
> should be instead
>
> <link rel="match" href="padding-left-applies-to-010-ref.xht"/>
>
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/margin-padding-clear/padding-left-a
pplies-to-010.xht
>
>
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/margin-padding-clear/padding-left-a
pplies-to-010-ref.xht
>
>
>
> This seems to affect padding-[ left | right ]-applies-to-[ 008 |
> 010 | 036 | 047 ] tests.

Fixed for padding-left-applies-to-[ 008 | 010 ].xht; the others don't
exist or weren't touched.

>
> 2- "visible"
>
> Anything that shortens the pass-fail-conditions sentence of a
> test, without compromising its understanding for a tester, helps.
> This is particularly true if a test suite has 1000 tests or more!
>
> Any words or expressions that can be removed from the
> pass-fail-conditions sentence without causing confusion or
> interpretation is, in my opinion, welcomed and best. Words like
> "red visible" are pleonastic, redundant in meaning.
>
> We presumed that testers taking the test suite are not blind and do
> not have any kind of incapacitating daltonism condition or some
> kind of color vision illness or incapacity. Mentioning a color
> implies by itself that it can be viewed, that it is visible by
> senses.
>
> So, whenever I read "no red visible" in a test, I have usually
> removed the word "visible". Same thing with the words:
>
> invisible viewable appearing present anywhere displayed you can
> see (
> http://test.csswg.org/source/compositing-1/mix-blend-mode/mix-blend-mo
de-blending-with-sibling.html
>
>
)
> You should see
> (http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/inlines-013.htm)
>
>
you can view

>
> We presumed that testers have eyes, can see, can view, etc...
>
> If, one day, there is an aural test suite, then words like "you
> can hear", "the sound of", etc... will not be useful or needed ...
> because we will presume, postulate that people taking the aural
> test suite have normal hearing capabilities, normal auditive
> capabilities.
>
> eg: Test passes if you can hear the sound of a dog barking. can
> safely become Test passes if there is a *dog barking*.
>
> 3- "in the page"
>
> Since 95% (or so) of all tests starts with a sentence stating the
> pass and fail conditions, then "below", "below this line", "after
> this sentence", "under this paragraph", "in this page", etc.. are
> all evident, pleonastic.
>
> So, whenever I read "in the page" in a test, I have usually removed
> such words. Same thing with the words:
>
> on the screen (
> http://test.csswg.org/source/compositing-1/mix-blend-mode/mix-blend-mo
de-blending-with-sibling.html
>
>
)
> below below this line (eg
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/replaced-intrinsic-
002.htm)

>
>  after this line below this sentence after this sentence below this
> paragraph (eg
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/abspos-001.htm)
> under this paragraph (eg
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/tables-002.htm)
> in the next paragraph after this following which follows
>
> These are useless, empty-meaning, pleonastic or self-evident or
> irrelevant words; they can be safely removed without affecting
> understanding of pass/fail conditions... unless, of course, the
> pass-fail-conditions sentence is not at the top of the page.
>
> So, I would have most likely removed the "visible on the page"
> chunk from the
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/no-red-on-blank-page-ref.
xht
>
>  
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/no-red-filler-text-ref.xh
t
>
>  and from its associated (125 , 78) tests.

Given that these are reftests, there is very rarely any need to assess
their passing or failing manually rather than having software compare
screenshots, so I don't believe small phrasing adjustments like this
are worth my time.

> 4- Prefixing "ref" for very frequently reused reference files
>
> " There are several common references, such as those used for
> parsing and selectors tests. Their names begin with ref- so they
> can be easily found in the reftest directory. "
> https://wiki.csswg.org/test/reftest#the-reftest-reference-file [I
> can not find this info in the new documentation...]
>
> If the reference file is very frequently reused, then we have the
> convention of prefixing its filename with ref and not suffixing
> it.
>
> So, here,
>
> ref-no-red-on-blank-page
>
> ref-no-red-filler-text
>
> filenames was better.

Perhaps, but they already live in a "reference" directory (which, I
should note, already contains several references that don't follow
this pattern), so it should be sufficiently clear that they're reference
s.

HTH
Ms2ger

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJV2C4jAAoJEOXgvIL+s8n2Xh0H/2PQQWHJRK2M4gsY5uPM86Tk
iwoqOhj6/0A2FJKsDBjFIz+MQVmTk+BVuJgge8vE543kdz5SeDVW449Oq7NyMzI9
0OUrKUgwDnxjXWT9JffjzSnlyKnGphvvZY+t4/7y5y8Yun4kf65L81TAGTKvWoL2
1UEwk8g/YywoNm1gL6nhNL+y50PqZsPXuplUU2tZJIv4vkcOI8sleCSOtNhGvH4A
Cp6aVUOBZAJz3IYRq6Sc5RuJfrDctAicIScf8JAhnWpTKpzM/8fpquBTLIUSRumL
A3JAHNsh3nGrJgEmDEFrkjUXSYeb77F5bZD7cotUJM3ynS3WGERTPR2sjCgYX9U=
=7FFq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----