- Abstract and paper submission opens July 29th
- EOI for tutorials 5th September
- Abstract submission 12th September
- Full Paper submission 19th September (Midnight CET)
- Poster abstracts 3rd October
- Notification of acceptance 24th October
The 2016 SWAT4LS international conference will provide the same open and
vibrant environment that has previously brought together researchers,
developers, and users, from many fields to discuss goals, current limits and
real experiences in the use of Semantic Web technologies in health care and
the life sciences. The next SWAT4LS will be held in Amsterdam, NL, 5-8th
SWAT4LS 2016 will be a tutorials day (5th), main conference (6th and 7th),
and a Hackathon day (8th). Tutorials, conference and hackathon will be held
at the Dutch National Cancer Institute http://www.nki.nl/. Conference
details are to be found at http://www.swat4ls.org/conference/amsterdam2016/.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to Semantic Web technologies
in the following areas:
- Tools for the management and analysis of semantic data in the life
sciences, medicine and health care
- The description, integration, analysis and use of data in pursuit of
challenges in the life sciences, medicine and health
- Semantically enabled tools for the life sciences, medicine and health
- Knowledge representation for biomedical knowledge bases
- Harnessing biomedical ontologies and terminologies with medical standards
for information exchange
- Electronic Health Records (EHRs), patient data and clinical trial data
- Enabling translational medicine and personalized medicine
- Semantic scientific publishing in the life sciences, medicine and health
- Rule based systems exploiting semantics
- NLP and text mining using semantic technologies
- Emerging technologies in Semantic Web, e.g. JSON-LD, graph databases
- Empirical studies and evaluation of Semantic Web tools and applications in
the life sciences
- Related standards such as CDISC, HL7 and LOINC used with semantic
- Ethical issues and data governance in healthcare and medical data on
- Future directions for Semantic Web technologies in the life sciences
Types of submission
The following types of submissions for SWAT4LS 2016 are sought:
Research papers Original research on a topic of interest to the SWAT4LS
Software papers New applications and tool descriptions addressing a topic
of interest to the SWAT4LS audience.
Position papers, application notes, discovery notes or a short version of a
long paper topic. using Semantic Web applications and tools.
Tutorials Presenting teaching and learning material on a topic of interest
for the SWAT4LS audience.
Software demos Present software and tools in action.
Posters - An opportunity to present work in the area informally centred on a
Industry Abstract only required, describing industrial applications or
Authors of accepted paper contributions to SWAT4LS 2016 will be invited to
submit to a special issue of the BMC Journal of Biomedical Semantics.
All papers and posters must be in English and submitted in pdf using the
LNCS format http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html.
Submissions for long papers must be a maximum of ten pages.
Submissions for short papers must be a maximum of five pages.
Submissions for posters abstract only required up to a maximum of two pages.
Submissions for software demo proposals must be a maximum of two pages.
Andrea Splendiani (Novartis NIBR, CH)
M Scott Marshall (Netherlands Cancer Institute, The Netherlands)
Adrian Paschke (Freie Universität Berlin and Fraunhofer FOKUS, Germany)
Albert Burger (Heriot-Watt University, UK)
Paolo Romano (IST National Cancer Research Institute, Italy)