CFP: OIC 2007: Ontology for the Intelligence Community

CFP: OIC 2007: Ontology for the Intelligence Community

Obrst, Leo J.

Apologies for cross-postings; please share with colleagues and prospective interested parties

NOTE: Paper submission date: July 15, 2007

Call for Papers: OIC 2007: ONTOLOGY FOR THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY

Towards Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources

Hilton Hotel, Columbia, MD

November 28-30, 2007

(November 30th is CLASSIFIED: those with TS/SCI clearances only and will be in Hanover, MD, near Columbia, MD).

The increasing volume, variety and velocity of intelligence analysis requires new approaches that will enable greater flexibility, precision, timeliness and automation of analysis to maximize valuable human resources in responding to fast-evolving threats.

Ontology-based technology as applied in areas such as bioinformatics has demonstrated the possibility of gains along all of these dimensions. The time is ripe to extend these gains also to other spheres.

This conference will bring together experts on ontology-based technology with particular experience in the problems facing the intelligence community. It will feature invited talks from prominent ontologists and intelligence community leaders, as well as submitted papers focusing especially on the creation of public-domain ontology resources to support the work of intelligence analysts.

Conference Director: Barry Smith (National Center for Ontological Research, Buffalo)

Scientific Committee

Kathleen Stewart Hornsby (Maine) (Chair); Bill Andersen (Ontology Works);

Selmer Bringsjord (Rensselaer); Werner Ceusters (Buffalo); Randall Dipert

(Buffalo); Terry Janssen (Lockheed); Kathryn Laskey (George Mason

University); Kevin Lynch (CIA); Leo Obrst (MITRE); Chris Welty (IBM

Research)

CALL FOR PAPERS

Submissions are invited of short papers in pdf format (up to 1500 words) designed to serve as the basis for 20-minute oral presentations at the conference. Accepted papers will be published (at speaker discretion) in the proceedings, in both an online version and prospectively a printed version. The authors of selected papers will be invited to submit longer versions for publication in volume 1 of a new series on Ontology for the Intelligence Community.

Papers may address a wide variety of issues addressing the ontology needs of the intelligence community. We are especially interested in papers devoted to the task of creating an interoperable suite of public-domain ontologies relevant to intelligence analysis, covering areas such as:

         emergency response

         urban settings

         geospatial / cartographic

         ethnicity

         social networks

         images and imaging

         transportation

         moving object tracking

         religion and politics

         biology and health

The ontologies should be combinable at will in such a way as to support the integration of data describing different domains. We encourage submissions that describe scenarios where multiple ontologies are linked to support higher-order analysis and reasoning over complex data. Questions to be addressed might include: which domains should be included in such a suite of ontologies? how can we ensure that ontologies interoperate in useful ways? how can we address the specific problems arising in virtue of the partiality and uncertainty of intelligence data? how can we use domain ontologies to organize, display and share intelligence analysis hypotheses while also maintaining a clean distinction between types and instances in knowledge representation artifacts?

CLASSIFIED SESSION

A CLASSIFIED paper and presentation/demo day will be held on the 30th only for those holding TS/SCI Clearances.  Related Intelligence Community project participants are encouraged to submit unclassified and classified presentations.  Because we are still in the process of determining the submission procedure for this, UNCLASSIFIED inquiries about CLASSIFIED submissions or procedures can be addressed to Leo Obrst ([hidden email]) or Terry Janssen ([hidden email]).  Unclassified paper submissions with CLASSIFIED Demonstrations are also encouraged. We will have more general guidelines for CLASSIFIED submissions shortly.

Details on how to pass clearances, and to whom, will be provided to those who sign up for the CLASSIFIED day on the 30th.

Deadlines

Receipt of papers: July 15, 2007

Notification of acceptance: August 31, 2007

Further information regarding submission will be provided in due course at http://ncor.us/oic2007

For inquiries please write to [hidden email].

This meeting is sponsored by the NATIONAL CENTER FOR ONTOLOGICAL

RESEARCH - BUFFALO.

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
[hidden email]    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and Control Center
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA