[CDR Framework] i18n comment: Versions of XML and XMLNamespaces

[CDR Framework] i18n comment: Versions of XML and XMLNamespaces

Felix Sasaki

Comment from the i18n review of:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/

Comment 2
At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/
Editorial/substantive: S
Location in reviewed document:

app. A [http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#definitions]

Comment:

You write: \"For example: XML 1.1 or HTML documents tied through hypertext reference producing as many DOM linked to one another.\" What is the relation between versions of XML and XML namespaces in this scenario? E.g what happens, if an XML 1.0 document references an XML 1.1. document? It might be that this depends on the languages being compounded, but you should have general guidelines for (new) languages as well.

Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Versions of XML and XMLNamespaces

Anne van Kesteren-2

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:58:23 +0100, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Comment 2
> At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/
> Editorial/substantive: S
> Location in reviewed document:
>
> app. A [http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#definitions]
>
> Comment:
> You write: \"For example: XML 1.1 or HTML documents tied through
> hypertext reference producing as many DOM linked to one another.\" What
> is the relation between versions of XML and XML namespaces in this
> scenario? E.g what happens, if an XML 1.0 document references an XML
> 1.1. document? It might be that this depends on the languages being
> compounded, but you should have general guidelines for (new) languages
> as well.

Why would anything specific happen? I do not really understand what
namespaces have to do with two documents that are only bound to each
through a reference.

(Not commenting on behalf of the WG by the way.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>

RE: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Versions of XML and XMLNamespaces

Scott Hayman

> From: [hidden email]

> Comment 2
> At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/
> Editorial/substantive: S
> Location in reviewed document:
>
> app. A [http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#definitions]
>
> Comment:
>
> You write: \"For example: XML 1.1 or HTML documents tied
> through hypertext reference producing as many DOM linked to
> one another.\" What is the relation between versions of XML
> and XML namespaces in this scenario? E.g what happens, if an
> XML 1.0 document references an XML 1.1. document? It might be
> that this depends on the languages being compounded, but you
> should have general guidelines for (new) languages as well.

There is no good reason why the version of XML was specified in the
definition of CDR in the spec.  We will update the spec to remove this.

Please let the working group know within 2 weeks if this doesn't address
your concern.

Regards,
Scott
--
Scott Hayman
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Versions of XML and XMLNamespaces

Felix Sasaki

Hi,

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:10:21 +0900, Scott Hayman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> From: [hidden email]
>
>> Comment 2
>> At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-cdf/
>> Editorial/substantive: S
>> Location in reviewed document:
>>
>> app. A [http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#definitions]
>>
>> Comment:
>>
>> You write: \"For example: XML 1.1 or HTML documents tied
>> through hypertext reference producing as many DOM linked to
>> one another.\" What is the relation between versions of XML
>> and XML namespaces in this scenario? E.g what happens, if an
>> XML 1.0 document references an XML 1.1. document? It might be
>> that this depends on the languages being compounded, but you
>> should have general guidelines for (new) languages as well.
>
> There is no good reason why the version of XML was specified in the
> definition of CDR in the spec.  We will update the spec to remove this.
>
> Please let the working group know within 2 weeks if this doesn't address
> your concern.

The i18n core working group is satisfied with your resolution. Thank you.
Regards, Felix.