CDF has "no implementations"?

Chris Lilley

Hello Ryan,

In this article
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071113-opendocument-foundation-closes-up-shop-after-slamming-opendocument-format.html

you stated "Unfortunately, CDF is largely theoretical as no implementations currently exist". I wonder what led you to that erroneous conclusion?

We are still gathering implementation experience, but today the implementation matrix lists five implementations which have been tested against the test suite. Other implementations are known, but have not yet been tested; in particular few mobile implementations have been tested so far.

http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/TestSuite/WICD_CDR_WP1/wicdmatrix.xhtml
http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/TestSuite/WICD_CDR_WP1/

Perhaps you could make a small correction to your article? Whether there are implementations or not does not seem to detract from your main point, and I would prefer that people who are interested in CDF and WICD are not misled by what seems to be an off-the-cuff remark.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Interaction Domain Leader

Re: CDF has "no implementations"?

Chris Lilley

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 8:33:29 PM, Ryan wrote:

RP> Hi Chris,

RP> Sorry about that. I have changed the article and removed the erroneous
RP> statement.

Many thanks, for your swift reply and prompt action!

RP> The W3C's CDF site has an "Implementation Report"[1] that is mostly a
RP> list of articles about companies saying that they are interested in
RP> supporting the format, but it makes no mention of any working
RP> implementations, so I assumed it was still largely unimplemented.

RP> [1] http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/CDR-implementations.html

Aha! Yes that rather old article should be updated with the latest information. Thanks for the explanation. We will update it to cover the latest test results.