Please consider submitting to Broadening Participation Workshop at UbiComp 2014. The application deadline is ***June 1, 2014***. The plain text CFP is listed below and for further information visit: http://ubicomp2014broadeningparticipation.wordpress.com/
Apologies to those of you who have received this message multiple times.
Mohit Jain @ IBM Research India
UbiComp and ISWC 2014 Publicity Chair
"Broadening Participation Workshop" Call for participation!
For the first time this year, UbiComp will host a Broadening Participation Workshop for student participants. This event is intended to increase the involvement of women and underrepresented minorities, including persons with disabilities, in the field of ubiquitous and wearable computing.
Application deadline: June 1, 2014
Notification date: July 1, 2014
Workshop: September 13, 2014
About the Workshop:
This one-day workshop will focus on achieving three goals:
1. To expose students to cutting-edge research in the field and engage participants in discussion and knowledge exchange,
2. To provide mentoring and networking opportunities to students that will help them in their studies and professional careers, and
3. To increase and engage the overall participation of traditionally underrepresented groups in the wearable and ubiquitous computing community and contribute to its diversification.
The workshop will entail a variety of activities aimed at achieving these goals, including presentations by invited speakers on research topics and methods, discussion sessions about career options and career planning in the field, and networking sessions. The workshop will also include a student poster session during which participants may present and get feedback on their work from peers and mentors. Internationally renowned researchers including women and minorities from the field will be invited to serve as speakers, mentors, and leaders for the workshop activities.
Students from other groups working in ubiquitous and wearable computing as well as those whose research focuses on underrepresented groups in ubiquitous and wearable computing are encouraged to apply. We anticipate that this workshop will be of maximum benefit to graduate students in the early- to mid-stages of their graduate studies.
Interested students should submit an application (max. 2 pages in ACM 2-column format: template) through this online form. The application must include the following:
1. A brief biographical sketch including the names and affiliations of the research advisors, the program in which the student is enrolled, the date that the student enrolled in the program, and the expected date of completion (1 paragraph)
2. A statement of your objectives for attending the Broadening Participation workshop and how you think it will help you in your studies and career (1 paragraph)
3. A description of your current or planned research topic. This section should describe what part of the research has already been completed (if any) and what research activities are planned for the rest of the studies.
4. An indication of whether you would like to present in the student poster session if accepted to participate in the workshop. Please note that we cannot guarantee a presentation space to all accepted participants at this time; decisions about presentations at the poster session will be made depending on space and time constraints, and the number of participants.
Additionally, the applicant’s research supervisor should also send a supporting letter on university letterhead to broadening.participation2014@.... The letter should contain a statement expressing how the student’s participation will help to diversify the UbiComp/ISWC research community, and how the student will benefit from participation in the workshop. Please note that this is NOT a recommendation letter; the supervisor is not asked to comment on the abilities of the student or the quality of the student’s research. Applications and supporting letters must be submitted by June 1, 2014. Students will be notified of decisions on July 1st, 2014.
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|