Books on ontology engineering and OWL

JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA
Dear all,

Do you know one or two good books on ontology engineering, preferably
centered on defining ontologies in OWL?

Do you know also one or two good books on explaining OWL in detail with
examples and common patterns, explanation of tools and how to use
reasoners?

I'm aware of the Description Logics handbook but I don't know if there
are other titles, more centered on OWL and its design issues?

Also, other online tutorials, apart from the Pizza Tutorial???

Many Thanks and Best Regards

----
José Manuel Cantera Fonseca
Telefónica I+D

jmcf.vcf (41 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Books on ontology engineering and OWL

Jeff Z. Pan

You can try Handbook on Ontologies. As far as I know, a brand new
version should be available soon.

Jeff

JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Do you know one or two good books on ontology engineering, preferably
> centered on defining ontologies in OWL?
>
> Do you know also one or two good books on explaining OWL in detail with
> examples and common patterns, explanation of tools and how to use
> reasoners?
>
> I'm aware of the Description Logics handbook but I don't know if there
> are other titles, more centered on OWL and its design issues?
>
> Also, other online tutorials, apart from the Pizza Tutorial???
>
> Many Thanks and Best Regards
>
> ----
> José Manuel Cantera Fonseca
> Telefónica I+D

RE: Books on ontology engineering and OWL

Uschold, Michael F

The handbook is a good collection of independently written articles on ontologies and inference in general, and there may be an article or two about OWL and patterns etc.  It is great for that.

IHMO, it does not meet Jose's stated need very well.

Michael

==========================
Michael Uschold
M&CT, Phantom Works
425 373-2845
[hidden email]
==========================

COOL TIP: to skip the phone menu tree and get a human on the phone, go to: http://gethuman.com/tips.html

You can try Handbook on Ontologies. As far as I know, a brand new version should be available soon.

Jeff

JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Do you know one or two good books on ontology engineering, preferably
> centered on defining ontologies in OWL?
>
> Do you know also one or two good books on explaining OWL in detail
> with examples and common patterns, explanation of tools and how to use
> reasoners?
>
> I'm aware of the Description Logics handbook but I don't know if there
> are other titles, more centered on OWL and its design issues?
>
> Also, other online tutorials, apart from the Pizza Tutorial???
>
> Many Thanks and Best Regards
>
> ----
> José Manuel Cantera Fonseca
> Telefónica I+D

Re: Books on ontology engineering and OWL

Aldo Gangemi
Hi, the new edition of the Handbook will feature an article of mine (and Valentina Presutti's) on ontology design patterns (either logical or content), with OWL examples. Other articles on OWL and experiences in ontology projects will be included as well.
A collaborative portal dedicated to patterns is also going to appear as a result of the EU NeOn project. You will receive a note when it is ready to start.
About OWL and best practices, you can also browse the REASE repository of the EU Knowledge Web project, and especially the collection of slides from the several editions of the Semantic Web Summer School can be interesting for you.
Best
Aldo

Il giorno 25/set/07, alle ore 23:48, Uschold, Michael F ha scritto:

[...]

_____________________________________

Aldo Gangemi

Senior Researcher
Laboratory for Applied Ontology
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513
[hidden email]

http://www.loa-cnr.it/gangemi.html

icq# 108370336

skype aldogangemi

Re: Books on ontology engineering and OWL

Danny Ayers

On 26/09/2007, Aldo Gangemi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Aldo,

> Hi, the new edition of the Handbook will feature an article of mine (and
> Valentina Presutti's) on ontology design patterns (either logical or
> content), with OWL examples. Other articles on OWL and experiences in
> ontology projects will be included as well.

Sounds great - any idea of publication date?

Is this the earlier edition :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-0654746-7418006

(I hope the new edition will have a slightly less prohibitive price tag!)

> A collaborative portal dedicated to patterns is also going to appear as a
> result of the EU NeOn project. You will receive a note when it is ready to
> start.

Marvellous. I imagine SWEO will be interested.

> About OWL and best practices, you can also browse the REASE repository of
> the EU Knowledge Web project, and especially the collection of slides from
> the several editions of the Semantic Web Summer School can be interesting
> for you.

I believe SWEO's already made a connection to REASE.

btw, if anyone happens to encounter any other good tutorial material,
it'd be helpful if you could either:

* add them to the Wiki at:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/RecommendedTutorials
and/or
* mail me or sweo
and/or
* tag the item with "sweo" on del.icio.us (and anything else that may
be appropriate)

There should already be quite a few resources already tagged on
del.icio.us, maybe try:

http://del.icio.us/tag/sweo+tutorial
http://del.icio.us/tag/semweb+tutorial
http://del.icio.us/tag/owl+tutorial

Danny.

http://dannyayers.com

Re: Books on ontology engineering and OWL [OWL1-1:Education]

Alan Rector

All

        OWL1-1:Education

This is a good stimulus for pointing out that I am supposed to be
coordinating an "education" section for OWL 1.1/OWL.

(Apologies that I have been otherwise engaged during this conversation.)

There is a basic wiki at
http://code.google.com/p/owl1-1/wiki/Education

Current content - zilch
Current people - I am lonely!

If volunteers will mail me with [OWL1-1:Education] in the subject
line, I will get them added to the Wiki.  it isn't open, or wasn't,
but we aren't trying to be exclusive.  If somebody could smmarise it
and draw it up into the start of a list of requirements for
educational material that would be great.

Regards

Alan

PS
note that there is also a Requirements task force which may be of
interest to some of the same people.

------------------

In the meantime, there is of course the Pizza tutorial and other CO-
ODE work

http://www.co-ode.org/resources/

other material on my tutorials pages that might be adapted (not all
of which has made it onto the CO-ODE site yet)

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/tutorials/

and on the course page for our Ontologies and OWL course,

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~seanb/teaching/COMP60461/
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/modules/COMP60461/

Regards

Alan

On 26 Sep 2007, at 00:48, Uschold, Michael F wrote:

> The handbook is a good collection of independently written articles
> on ontologies and inference in general, and there may be an article
> or two about OWL and patterns etc.  It is great for that.
>
> IHMO, it does not meet Jose's stated need very well.
>
> Michael
>

> ==========================
> Michael Uschold
> M&CT, Phantom Works
> 425 373-2845
> [hidden email]
> ==========================

> COOL TIP: to skip the phone menu tree and get a human on the phone,
> go to: http://gethuman.com/tips.html

-----------------------
Alan Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics