Basic semantic sitemap in RDFa for Drupal

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Basic semantic sitemap in RDFa for Drupal

Stéphane Corlosquet
Hi,

There is a patch under review for annotating the "Recent content" page with RDFa in Drupal 7 core. This page lists the latest activity on a given Drupal site: title, author, number of comments and last updated date for each page. I've setup Drupal 7 with this patch at http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/tracker for reviews. We think it could be a potentially be good entry point for semantic web aware crawlers which could find here the relevant pages to update their index, a basic semantic sitemap in fact.
 
Do you think this is something SearchMonkey or Sindice would be able to take advantage of? Is it useful in general? Are we using the right RDF mappings? Is there any other elements we should annotate on this page?

regards,
Stephane.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic semantic sitemap in RDFa for Drupal

Steven Pemberton-3
Looks good to me.

There's something slightly odd with classifying people's names as being in  
the same language as the document:

        <http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20> a sioc:User ;
             foaf:name "lucerukimam"@en .

and I don't see the need for duplicating the data on number of replies in  
@content:

   <td class="replies" property="sioc:num_replies" content="4"  
datatype="xsd:integer">4</td>

when

   <td class="replies" property="sioc:num_replies"  
datatype="xsd:integer">4</td>

would do just as well.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:39:41 +0100, Stephane Corlosquet  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a patch under review for annotating the "Recent content" page  
> with
> RDFa in Drupal 7 core. This page lists the latest activity on a given  
> Drupal
> site: title, author, number of comments and last updated date for each  
> page.
> I've setup Drupal 7 with this patch at
> http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/tracker for reviews. We think it could  
> be a
> potentially be good entry point for semantic web aware crawlers which  
> could
> find here the relevant pages to update their index, a basic semantic  
> sitemap
> in fact.
>
> Do you think this is something SearchMonkey or Sindice would be able to  
> take
> advantage of? Is it useful in general? Are we using the right RDF  
> mappings?
> Is there any other elements we should annotate on this page?
>
> regards,
> Stephane.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic semantic sitemap in RDFa for Drupal

Stéphane Corlosquet
Hi Steven,

Thanks for your feedback!

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Steven Pemberton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good to me.

There's something slightly odd with classifying people's names as being in the same language as the document:

       <http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20> a sioc:User ;
            foaf:name "lucerukimam"@en .

good point. This is inherited from the xml:lang="en" attribute of the html tag of the document. Is there anyway in RDFa to reset this language tag in the markup? is adding xml:lang="" to the tag containing the foaf:name the right way to do it?


and I don't see the need for duplicating the data on number of replies in @content:

 <td class="replies" property="sioc:num_replies" content="4" datatype="xsd:integer">4</td>

I agree, however the value of the td tag is sometimes enriched with some extra HTML markup, for example when you are logged in it tells you how many new comments have been added since you list visited the page, and you will see something like the screenshot [1] which corrresponds to this markup
<td datatype="xsd:integer" content="21" property="sioc:num_replies" class="replies">21<br/><a href="/node/149#new">19 new</a></td>

we thought it's less markup to add the content attribute in the td tag rather than wrapping 21 with some extra HTML markup.


Steph.
PS: for the records, the ticket on the Drupal issue tracker is http://drupal.org/node/614508

[1] http://skitch.com/scor/njcry/recent-content-drupalrdf.openspring.net

 

when

 <td class="replies" property="sioc:num_replies" datatype="xsd:integer">4</td>

would do just as well.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton


On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:39:41 +0100, Stephane Corlosquet <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

There is a patch under review for annotating the "Recent content" page with
RDFa in Drupal 7 core. This page lists the latest activity on a given Drupal
site: title, author, number of comments and last updated date for each page..
I've setup Drupal 7 with this patch at
http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/tracker for reviews. We think it could be a
potentially be good entry point for semantic web aware crawlers which could
find here the relevant pages to update their index, a basic semantic sitemap
in fact.

Do you think this is something SearchMonkey or Sindice would be able to take
advantage of? Is it useful in general? Are we using the right RDF mappings?
Is there any other elements we should annotate on this page?

regards,
Stephane.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic semantic sitemap in RDFa for Drupal

Steven Pemberton-3
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:36:41 +0100, Stephane Corlosquet  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Steven Pemberton
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Looks good to me.
>>
>> There's something slightly odd with classifying people's names as being  
>> in
>> the same language as the document:
>>
>>        <http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20> a sioc:User ;
>>             foaf:name "lucerukimam"@en .
>>
>
> good point. This is inherited from the xml:lang="en" attribute of the  
> html
> tag of the document. Is there anyway in RDFa to reset this language tag  
> in
> the markup? is adding xml:lang="" to the tag containing the foaf:name the
> right way to do it?

Yes.

>> and I don't see the need for duplicating the data on number of replies  
>> in
>> @content:
>>
>>  <td class="replies" property="sioc:num_replies" content="4"
>> datatype="xsd:integer">4</td>
>>
>
> I agree, however the value of the td tag is sometimes enriched with some
> extra HTML markup,

Fair enough!

Best wishes,

Steven

> for example when you are logged in it tells you how many
> new comments have been added since you list visited the page, and you  
> will
> see something like the screenshot [1] which corrresponds to this markup
> <td datatype="xsd:integer" content="21" property="sioc:num_replies"
> class="replies">21<br/><a href="/node/149#new">19 new</a></td>
>
> we thought it's less markup to add the content attribute in the td tag
> rather than wrapping 21 with some extra HTML markup.
>
>
> Steph.
> PS: for the records, the ticket on the Drupal issue tracker is
> http://drupal.org/node/614508
>
> [1] http://skitch.com/scor/njcry/recent-content-drupalrdf.openspring.net
>
>
>
>>
>> when
>>
>>  <td class="replies" property="sioc:num_replies"
>> datatype="xsd:integer">4</td>
>>
>> would do just as well.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Steven Pemberton
>>
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:39:41 +0100, Stephane Corlosquet <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> There is a patch under review for annotating the "Recent content" page
>>> with
>>> RDFa in Drupal 7 core. This page lists the latest activity on a given
>>> Drupal
>>> site: title, author, number of comments and last updated date for each
>>> page.
>>> I've setup Drupal 7 with this patch at
>>> http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/tracker for reviews. We think it could  
>>> be
>>> a
>>> potentially be good entry point for semantic web aware crawlers which
>>> could
>>> find here the relevant pages to update their index, a basic semantic
>>> sitemap
>>> in fact.
>>>
>>> Do you think this is something SearchMonkey or Sindice would be able to
>>> take
>>> advantage of? Is it useful in general? Are we using the right RDF
>>> mappings?
>>> Is there any other elements we should annotate on this page?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Stephane.
>>>
>>
>>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic semantic sitemap in RDFa for Drupal

Nathan Rixham-2
In reply to this post by Stéphane Corlosquet
Stephane Corlosquet wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Steven Pemberton
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Looks good to me.
>>
>> There's something slightly odd with classifying people's names as being in
>> the same language as the document:
>>
>>        <http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20> a sioc:User ;
>>             foaf:name "lucerukimam"@en .
>>

shouldn't this be:

<http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20> a sioc:User ;
        sioc:account_of <http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20#person> .

<http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/user/20#person> a foaf:Person ;
        foaf:name "lucerukimam"@en ;

since foaf:name relates to a foaf:person and sioc:User is simply an
account of said Person