Attempt to add Amaya to the FreeBSD ports system

Threaded

Attempt to add Amaya to the FreeBSD ports system

Amaya user
Greetings,
 I'm new to the list. My reason for joining is that I would
like to use Amaya on FreeBSD. I have been using BSD as my
"daily driver" for some 30 years. While I am also familiar with,
and use other Operating Systems. My home is on BSD. That said; I
installed a copy of Fedora on a separate partition of one of my BSD
installs to build, and use Amaya. The process went as expected, and
I really enjoyed Amaya. Now, I would like to build Amaya, and use
it on BSD, where I will get the most use out of it. Before
embarking on this mission, I have a couple of questions that I
hope will ensure my mission goes smoothly.
Since I ultimately hope to add Amaya to the BSD posts system, I
have some questions that will apply to both installing for my
own use, as well as building an environment that will make
it possible for a "generic" BSD make(1) && install.
I notice that the CVS and source have a notion of installing
Amaya support libs from the Amaya source tree. BSD already
has the libs distributed with the Amaya source. Is there any reason/
why I can't get Amaya source that doesn't depend on the libs
/within/ the Amaya source? The versions that already exist on
reasonably recent versions of BSD, are new enough to meet
(or exceed) the dependency requirements of Amaya.
Secondly, the build process within the BSD ports tree has a notion
of ${PREFIX}, which is a macro that generally expands to
/usr/local
Does the same hold true for Amaya?

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
 Chris

Threaded

Re: Attempt to add Amaya to the FreeBSD ports system

Philipp Ost
Amaya user wrote:
[...]
> I notice that the CVS and source have a notion of installing
> Amaya support libs from the Amaya source tree. BSD already
> has the libs distributed with the Amaya source. Is there any reason/
> why I can't get Amaya source that doesn't depend on the libs
> /within/ the Amaya source? The versions that already exist on
> reasonably recent versions of BSD, are new enough to meet
> (or exceed) the dependency requirements of Amaya.

The first problem is to get Amaya to build and run cleanly.
I tackled the exact same project some time ago; I did some small steps,
but haven't been working on it lately due to lack of time.

> Secondly, the build process within the BSD ports tree has a notion
> of ${PREFIX}, which is a macro that generally expands to
> /usr/local
> Does the same hold true for Amaya?

This should not be a problem.

Kind regards,
Philipp

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment
Threaded

Re: Attempt to add Amaya to the FreeBSD ports system

Amaya user
Greetings Philipp Ost, and thank you for your reply.
On Fri, January 7, 2011 10:34 am, Philipp Ost wrote:

> Amaya user wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I notice that the CVS and source have a notion of installing
>> Amaya support libs from the Amaya source tree. BSD already
>> has the libs distributed with the Amaya source. Is there any reason/ why
>> I can't get Amaya source that doesn't depend on the libs
>> /within/ the Amaya source? The versions that already exist on
>> reasonably recent versions of BSD, are new enough to meet (or exceed) the
>> dependency requirements of Amaya.
>
> The first problem is to get Amaya to build and run cleanly.
> I tackled the exact same project some time ago; I did some small steps,
> but haven't been working on it lately due to lack of time.

It only get's worse for me, as I'm working on an 64bit system (AMD64). :)

>> Secondly, the build process within the BSD ports tree has a notion
>> of ${PREFIX}, which is a macro that generally expands to /usr/local
>> Does the same hold true for Amaya?
>>

> This should not be a problem.
Indeed. Further reading indicates this is the same for Amaya, as well.

Seems that last version available within the BSD ports tree, was 9.55_3
back in 7.2. It was removed due to security issues, compounded by lack
of maintenance by the port author. :(

On the upside, I'll have the previous port authors work to build on.
I'd really appreciate any input others might have that have successfully
built Amaya on a *BSD system.

Thank you again Philipp Ost, for your thoughtful reply.

--Chris

--

Threaded

Re: Attempt to add Amaya to the FreeBSD ports system

Laurent Carcone-2
Hello,

Amaya user wrote:

>> Amaya user wrote:
>> [...]
>>

>>> I notice that the CVS and source have a notion of installing
>>> Amaya support libs from the Amaya source tree. BSD already
>>> has the libs distributed with the Amaya source. Is there any reason/ why
>>> I can't get Amaya source that doesn't depend on the libs
>>> /within/ the Amaya source? The versions that already exist on
>>> reasonably recent versions of BSD, are new enough to meet (or exceed) the
>>> dependency requirements of Amaya.

Thanks for your work on Amaya.
I never built BSD version, what libs are you considering ?
If you make ../configure -help, you get the options to compile with
wxWidgets/libwww/raptor system libs, you can use also a specific
wxWidgets source library with the option '--with-wxsrcdir=...'

Hope this helps,
Laurent Carcone