Atom Category Document for WSDL?

Paul Denning

Given things like WSO2 Registry and Mule Galaxy, which provide Atom
Publishing Protocol interfaces, it seems that it would be useful to
have a "standard" atom:scheme and an associated Atom Category document.

Compared to UDDI, Atom is generally considered more lightweight and
ubiquitous.  However, UDDI has some good aspects that perhaps should
be modeled or imitated using Atom.

For example, to register a WSDL document in UDDI [0], a tModel is
created and some information gleened from the WSDL is used in the
categoryBag.  So, to find WSDL in UDDI, you search for tModels with a
certain well-defined category in the categoryBag.

[0]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/tn/uddi-spec-tc-tn-wsdl-v2.htm

Now that Atom Publishing Protocol (APP) is being used for publishing
to a registry/repository, we should look at some conventions for the
Atom category element to help users find WSDL and related SOA
artifacts across (i.e., aggregation of) a set of heterogenous
registry/repository feeds.

That is, a large enterprise may have several registry/repositories,
each with Atom feeds for WSDL, which I would like to aggregate into
one composite feed for WSDL from across the enterprise.  Finding the
feeds for WSDL from among the many feeds that an enterprise may have
should be easier.

What I think this boils down to is a standard taxonomy (aka, value
set, vocabulary) documented in an Atom Category Document [1].

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5023#section-7

For example,

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<app:categories
   xmlns:app="http://www.w3.org/2007/app"
   xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
   fixed="yes"
   scheme="http://example.com/soa">

   <atom:category term="wsdlSpec" />
   <atom:category term="wspSpec" />
   <atom:category term="bpelSpec" />
</app:categories>

Obviously @scheme would benefit from an IRI defined by an established
standards organization (W3C, OASIS, IETF, ...).

Above I define only three terms, but others should be considered.
The terms above would be used, respectively, to register/publish
WSDL, WS-Policy, and BPEL.

Therefore if the 'wsdlSpec' category were to
    appear in an Atom Entry or Feed Document, it would appear as:

    <atom:category scheme="http://example.com/soa" term="wsdlSpec"/>

If a registry/repository wanted to offer a feed/collection of WSDL
documents, then an Atom Service document might look like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding='utf-8'?>
<service
   xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2007/app"
   xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
  <workspace>
   <atom:title>Registry</atom:title>
   <collection
     href="http://example.com/soa" >
     <atom:title>My Blog Entries</atom:title>
     <categories href="http://example.org/soa" />
    </collection>
    <collection
      href="http://feeds.example.org/soa/wsdl" >
      <atom:title>WSDL</atom:title>
      <categories fixed="yes">
        <atom:category
           scheme="http://example.com/soa"
           term="wsdlSpec" />
      </categories>
      <accept>application/wsdl+xml</accept>
      <accept>text/xml</accept>
     </collection>
   </workspace>
</service>

Has any of the above been considered?

Paul

Re: Atom Category Document for WSDL?

Arthur Ryman-2

Paul,

I haven't seen this proposed before, but it sounds reasonable. I suppose that UDDI repositories could publish Atom feeds too.

Arthur Ryman, Technical Executive (IBM DE)
Project and Program Management, Rational Division

phone:      +1-905-413-3077, TL 313-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-3831, TL 313-3831
fax:            +1-905-413-4920, TL 313-4920
mobile:     +1-416-939-5063

Paul Denning <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

07/02/2008 04:51 PM

[hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email]
cc
Subject