Quantcast

Article about SVG 2 in InfoWorld

Threaded

Article about SVG 2 in InfoWorld

Doug Schepers-3
Hi, folks–

Paul Krill published a nice article about SVG 2 in InfoWorld [1].

I'm curious what folks think about it! I hope it helps frame the
upcoming publication. Are there other points we should try to hit in our
communications?

[1]
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3108386/application-development/new-svg-spec-irons-out-overlaps-with-html-css.html

Regards–
Doug

Threaded

Re: Article about SVG 2 in InfoWorld

Nikos Andronikos

> On 24 Aug 2016, at 3:10 PM, Doug Schepers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, folks–
>
> Paul Krill published a nice article about SVG 2 in InfoWorld [1].
>
> I'm curious what folks think about it! I hope it helps frame the upcoming publication. Are there other points we should try to hit in our communications?
>
> [1] http://www.infoworld.com/article/3108386/application-development/new-svg-spec-irons-out-overlaps-with-html-css.html

I like:
* explaining that a large part of SVG 2 is about harmonising and enabling implementations to be less quirky
* pointing out that many of the big SVG features have been moved to a higher level so they can benefit HTML as well

I’m a bit disappointed with the statement that the SVG WG has deprecated SMIL. If that’s referring to the goal of redefining SVG declarative animation in terms of Web Animations, then it’s technically accurate, but I feel it needs more context given all the misinformation that has been spread about SVG animation.

I generally think mentioning mesh gradients as a new feature would be good - they have the potential to enable a totally new style of image and differentiate SVG from other graphics technologies. It would be nice to put the word out so that we can (hopefully) get authors excited about them.

> [1] http://www.infoworld.com/article/3108386/application-development/new-svg-spec-irons-out-overlaps-with-html-css.html
>
> Regards–
> Doug

I’ll also drop a link here to an interview I gave to the PDF Association, in case people didn’t see it on Twitter:
http://www.pdfa.org/2016/08/interview-with-nikos-andronikos-chair-of-the-svg-wg/

Nikos.

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential and may also be the subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the information from your system.