Announce: w3c markup validator RPM packages for SuSE Linux

Announce: w3c markup validator RPM packages for SuSE Linux

sierkb

Hi!

I have assembled SuSE RPMs for the W3C Markup Validator. My current
version is 0.7.0, the current stable 0.7.1 will follow in a few days.
Building on Ville Skytt?'s RPM Spec file, I adopted it for SuSE Linux
and made some different changes, mainly having local use in mind.
A a short look into my RPM Spec file might be useful in any case.
My RPM packages are published on
http://sierkbornemann.de/pub/tools/w3c-markup-validator/ for developers
only. Please handle this private URL with care (because of server
traffic, which I don't want to explode). I hope, Novell/SuSE will grap
my packages and publish it on their own on a public FTP server (since
weeks, I try to convince Peter Poeml, one of SuSEs main package
maintainers, to find it useful having also official packages of the
w3c-validator in their portfolio and to takeover my RPM packages as
they already did with the current tidy packages and mod-tidy package --
unfortunately their actuality lags behind my private builds on
http://sierkbornemann.de/pub/tools/ ).
I would appreciate, if in short term there can also be a notice with
URL on http://validator.w3.org/source/ , pointing to the existance of
RPMs also for Novell/SuSE Linux (either to  SuSE's official validator
packages or to my personal builds on
http://sierkbornemann.de/pub/tools/w3c-markup-validator/).

Sierk Bornemann

Sierk Bornemann | Hannover | Germany
e-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Announce: w3c markup validator RPM packages for SuSE Linux

Ville Skyttä

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 11:22 +0100, Sierk Bornemann wrote:

> I have assembled SuSE RPMs for the W3C Markup Validator. My current
> version is 0.7.0, the current stable 0.7.1 will follow in a few days.
> Building on Ville Skyttä's RPM Spec file, I adopted it for SuSE Linux
> and made some different changes, mainly having local use in mind.

Cool.  In case some of your changes would be beneficial to the specfile
shipped with the validator, don't hesitate to send them my way.

I took a brief look into your specfile, and noticed that you're allowing
checking documents on private IP's by default.  Probably you did that on
purpose and for a reason, but the default of _not_ allowing that is also
on purpose in the validator dist tarballs... ;)

> (since weeks, I try to convince Peter Poeml, one of SuSEs main package
> maintainers, to find it useful having also official packages of the
> w3c-validator in their portfolio

One thing you may want to check: I don't know if SuSE has SELinux, but
if it does, it's very likely that their targeted policy files need
adaptation so that the validator will work.  This is why the Fedora
Extras packages aren't currently available, we're working on it...

> I would appreciate, if in short term there can also be a notice with
> URL on http://validator.w3.org/source/ , pointing to the existance of
> RPMs also for Novell/SuSE Linux

Sure, just let us know when you're ready and what's their preferred
download location.