Angles in Paths

Shao Miller
Good day.

Please forgive me if I've knocked at the wrong door.  I am wondering: Is
there any way to specify a 30-60-90 triangle without considering the
length of the side which is incommensurable with the other two?  It
would seem odd to me if a person needed to describe this special
triangle by first choosing some arbitrary precision with which to
express the special side.  A path instruction like "turn 135 degrees,
counter-clockwise" followed by a "move forward 2 units" seems like a
sequence that a rendering engine could understand and would be better at
choosing a precision for than a person would be.  (Remember the "Logo
turtle"?)

Also please forgive me if I've missed something obvious.  I searched
around for a couple of hours before sending this note.

Thank you for your consideration.
--

Shao Miller
Synthetel Corporation

Re: Angles in Paths

Juergen Roethig
Hello world,

Shao Miller wrote:

> Please forgive me if I've knocked at the wrong door.  I am wondering: Is
> there any way to specify a 30-60-90 triangle without considering the
> length of the side which is incommensurable with the other two?  It
> would seem odd to me if a person needed to describe this special
> triangle by first choosing some arbitrary precision with which to
> express the special side.  A path instruction like "turn 135 degrees,
> counter-clockwise" followed by a "move forward 2 units" seems like a
> sequence that a rendering engine could understand and would be better at
> choosing a precision for than a person would be.  (Remember the "Logo
> turtle"?)

For SVG 2, this (the "turn") is in the queue as a bearing command ("B")
within path.

> Also please forgive me if I've missed something obvious.  I searched
> around for a couple of hours before sending this note.

You might have been able to find it in the actual working draft - see:
https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/single-page.html#paths-PathDataBearingCommands
But this really might be hard to find :-(

Best regards

Juergen Roethig

Re: Angles in Paths

Shao Miller
On 2/5/2016 12:06, Juergen Roethig wrote:

> Hello world,
>
> Shao Miller wrote:
>>
>> Please forgive me if I've knocked at the wrong door.  I am wondering:
>> Is there any way to specify a 30-60-90 triangle without considering
>> the length of the side which is incommensurable with the other two?
>> It would seem odd to me if a person needed to describe this special
>> triangle by first choosing some arbitrary precision with which to
>> express the special side.  A path instruction like "turn 135 degrees,
>> counter-clockwise" followed by a "move forward 2 units" seems like a
>> sequence that a rendering engine could understand and would be better
>> at choosing a precision for than a person would be.  (Remember the
>> "Logo turtle"?)
>
> For SVG 2, this (the "turn") is in the queue as a bearing command
> ("B") within path.
>
>> Also please forgive me if I've missed something obvious.  I searched
>> around for a couple of hours before sending this note.
>
> You might have been able to find it in the actual working draft - see:
> https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/single-page.html#paths-PathDataBearingCommands
>
> But this really might be hard to find :-(

Thank you, sir!

Shao Miller
Synthetel Corporation
E: [hidden email]