Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

HiddenId
Hi all,
If you like using AMAYA as I Iike it, shouldn't we try to relaunch its long term development, particularly, making AMAYA running better with current and future version of web browsers ?
For sure, we know that neither W3C nor WAM INRIA deploy resource for AMAYA any more. As specified on AMAYA home web page "the application was jointly developed by W3C and the WAM project (Web, Adaptation and Multimedia) at INRIA. It is no more developed."
However, if many of us email to W3C and INRIA decision makers, our encouragements to decide to maintain AMAYA as a permanent project to develop, should this have an positive impact for relaunching the project with permanent allocated resources ?
Would this help to relaunch AMAYA development ?
Freely,
Antoine

Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Martin J. Dürst
Hello Antoine,

On 2014/03/19 18:21, HiddenId wrote:
> Hi all,
> If you like using AMAYA as I Iike it, shouldn't we try to relaunch its long term development, particularly, making AMAYA running better with current and future version of web browsers ?
>
> For sure, we know that neither W3C nor WAM INRIA deploy resource for AMAYA any more. As specified on AMAYA home web page "the application was jointly developed by W3C and the WAM project (Web, Adaptation and Multimedia)
> at INRIA. It is no more developed."
> However, if many of us email to W3C and INRIA decision makers, our encouragements to decide to maintain AMAYA as a permanent project to develop, should this have an positive impact for relaunching the project with permanent allocated resources ?
> Would this help to relaunch AMAYA development ?
> Freely,
> Antoine

Sorry to not be of much help, but please let me explain the situation as
far as I understand (as a former member of the W3C team).

I like Amaya very much, too, and would be really delighted if
development would continue (restart). A student of mine about a year ago
also worked on adding HTML5 support to Amaya, her code is available at
https://github.com/ezura/Amaya/. There also seem to have been others
working on the code, see https://github.com/w3c/Amaya/network or search
for 'Amaya' on github.

However, unfortunately, it's not just that the Amaya project at INRIA is
closed, but that its main developers and backers are retired. So there's
nobody at INRIA in a position to push Amaya development. Also, INRIA
being a research institution, simply adapting Amaya to newer browsers
may not be such an attractive project.

Anybody is of course very welcome to continue to work on Amaya, because
it's all open source!

Regards,   Martin.

Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Etienne Saliez

Hi,

In the Open Source community we absolutely need a good HTML editor as AMAYA and at the moment I do not see any better solution.

I have a lot of HTML documents to edit and it would be very annoying to have to do it by means of a basic text editor.

Before using Amaya, I did use KOMPOZER which is today no more maintained and which is not optimal about W3C standards, although still accepted by Firefox.

From a technical point of view I would not be able to contribute, but I am willing to pledge some donations.

- Indeed HTML5 is becoming important and must be implemented.

- Moreover a few other improvements like the graphic interface for the management of tables which should be made as good as it was in Kompozer.

- No more much concern, but I did not succeed to install AMAYA on 32 bit machine in a KUBUNTU environment.

Etienne Saliez

tel +32_26541759

http://www.isfteh.org/working_groups/category/collaborative_care_team_in_open_source

On Wednesday 19 March 2014 19:24:36 Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> Hello Antoine,

> On 2014/03/19 18:21, HiddenId wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > If you like using AMAYA as I Iike it, shouldn't we try to relaunch its

> > long term development, particularly, making AMAYA running better with

> > current and future version of web browsers ?

> > For sure, we know that neither W3C nor WAM INRIA deploy resource for AMAYA

> > any more. As specified on AMAYA home web page "the application was

> > jointly developed by W3C and the WAM project (Web, Adaptation and

> > Multimedia) at INRIA. It is no more developed."

> > However, if many of us email to W3C and INRIA decision makers, our

> > encouragements to decide to maintain AMAYA as a permanent project to

> > develop, should this have an positive impact for relaunching the project

> > with permanent allocated resources ? Would this help to relaunch AMAYA

> > development ?

> > Freely,

> > Antoine

> Sorry to not be of much help, but please let me explain the situation as

> far as I understand (as a former member of the W3C team).

> I like Amaya very much, too, and would be really delighted if

> development would continue (restart). A student of mine about a year ago

> also worked on adding HTML5 support to Amaya, her code is available at

> https://github.com/ezura/Amaya/. There also seem to have been others

> working on the code, see https://github.com/w3c/Amaya/network or search

> for 'Amaya' on github.

> However, unfortunately, it's not just that the Amaya project at INRIA is

> closed, but that its main developers and backers are retired. So there's

> nobody at INRIA in a position to push Amaya development. Also, INRIA

> being a research institution, simply adapting Amaya to newer browsers

> may not be such an attractive project.

> Anybody is of course very welcome to continue to work on Amaya, because

> it's all open source!

> Regards, Martin.

Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

John Culleton-3
On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:07:01 +0100
Etienne Saliez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > me explain the situation as far as I
> > understand (as a former member of the W3C
> > team).
> >
> > I like Amaya very much, too, and would be
> > really delighted if development would
> > continue (restart). A student of mine about a
> > year ago also worked on adding HTML5 support
> > to Amaya, her code is available at
> > https://github.com/ezura/Amaya/. There also
> > seem to have been others working on the code,
> > see https://github.com/w3c/Amaya/network or
> > search for 'Amaya' on github.
> >
> > However, unfortunately, it's not just that
> > the Amaya project at INRIA is closed, but
> > that its main developers and backers are
> > retired. So there's nobody at INRIA in a
> > position to push Amaya development. Also,
> > INRIA being a research institution, simply
> > adapting Amaya to newer browsers may not be
> > such an attractive project.
> >
> > Anybody is of course very welcome to continue

I use a regular editor,Gvim. But Bluefish is a
good option IMO.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html

Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Dominique Meeùs-4
Etienne Saliez a écrit ce qui suit, le 19/03/14 12:07 :
Before using Amaya, I did use KOMPOZER which is today no more maintained and which is not optimal about W3C standards, although still accepted by Firefox.
Kompozer was a fork from NVU, because the author stopped with NVU to write new code from scratch. This is done now: BlueGriffon (http://bluegriffon.org/). The aims and criteria are different from those of Amaya, but it may help compose in wysiwyg. (I write mostly XHTML code directly —when not writing TEI XML, also in code—, but I like wysiwyg to build a table for example.)
Mind the fact that it is meant to be user friendly: any blank in HTML code is one space in the rendering, but for people who like to actually put more space and knowing little about code, NVU, Kompozer and BlueGriffon use non breaking space for a second space. If you type two spaces by accident and then delete the ordinary space, you may end up with unwanted non breaking spaces.)

Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

cbeerse@gmail.com
On 19-3-2014 11:24, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
[...]

Good to see it is open source. It is sad but understandable that Inra stops the development. If there is a future for Amaya, I think it is as part of the next organisations:
  • Google and its summer-of-code to boost the development.
  • Sourceforge as that is where a lot (all?) small and beautifull developments are
  • As part of an other, larger product/project....

For the other projects, I think about a connection/combination with the small and beautifull wordprocessor AbiWord (www.abisource.com): For me as a user they both provide good basic edit fascilities without extended exotic features. Here amaya can be the html processor and provide the 'under-water' screen, the most noticable feature of Amaya. Abi can provide the wisywig-interface and converters from and to other formats.

An other, maybe strange switch can be a connection to the Calibre, the e-book tool. This might be a little switch, as ebook formats are the base there, however, as far as I know ebooks, they have a lot in common with html.

Just my 2 cents,

Corné Beerse

Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Laurent Carcone
Le 19/03/14 11:24, "Martin J. Dürst" a écrit :

> Hello Antoine,
>
> On 2014/03/19 18:21, HiddenId wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> If you like using AMAYA as I Iike it, shouldn't we try to relaunch
>> its long term development, particularly, making AMAYA running better
>> with current and future version of web browsers ?
>>
>> For sure, we know that neither W3C nor WAM INRIA deploy resource for
>> AMAYA any more. As specified on AMAYA home web page "the application
>> was jointly developed by W3C and the WAM project (Web, Adaptation and
>> Multimedia)
>> at INRIA. It is no more developed."
>> However, if many of us email to W3C and INRIA decision makers, our
>> encouragements to decide to maintain AMAYA as a permanent project to
>> develop, should this have an positive impact for relaunching the
>> project with permanent allocated resources ?
>> Would this help to relaunch AMAYA development ?
>> Freely,
>> Antoine
>
> Sorry to not be of much help, but please let me explain the situation
> as far as I understand (as a former member of the W3C team).
>
> I like Amaya very much, too, and would be really delighted if
> development would continue (restart). A student of mine about a year
> ago also worked on adding HTML5 support to Amaya, her code is
> available at https://github.com/ezura/Amaya/. There also seem to have
> been others working on the code, see
> https://github.com/w3c/Amaya/network or search for 'Amaya' on github.
>
> However, unfortunately, it's not just that the Amaya project at INRIA
> is closed, but that its main developers and backers are retired. So
> there's nobody at INRIA in a position to push Amaya development. Also,
> INRIA being a research institution, simply adapting Amaya to newer
> browsers may not be such an attractive project.
>
> Anybody is of course very welcome to continue to work on Amaya,
> because it's all open source!
>
> Regards,   Martin.

Hi,

Thank you all for your support.
Indeed, INRIA stopped to support Amaya (and stopped to host us too :)),
and W3C won't relaunch the project.
Some months ago, I created a github repository [1] with Amaya source
code so that it is more visible in the open-source community.
I recently created an other github repository including the whole cvs
history [2] to preserve the history of the project as the cvs server is
running on an INRIA'a machine.

Relaunching Amaya would require a great investment, in particular it
would be necessary to separate the editing part and the rendering part
to use an existing rendering engine like Gecko. It's a huge work but it
would facilitate further developments and the adoption of the project by
the open-source community.

I'd like to thanks Martin and Yuka for their work on HTML5 support [3],
I had a look at their project and it is promising.

Thanks,
Laurent

[1] https://github.com/w3c/Amaya
[2] https://github.com/w3c/Amaya-Editor