Amaya and screen readers

Alex Midence

Hello from Texas!!  J

I wondered if you might tell me what settings I need to modify in Amaya to make it work with my screen reader.  I use Jaws for windows 11.0.  I can navigate the menus and dialog boxes just fine.  I can identify and use all buttons in the toolbars.  What I can not do, however, is actually navigate the document I am editing.  I can’t, for instance, add text to a paragraph or determine if a link is appearing where it neds to, etc.  None of the editing/text entry area has been navigable for me.  Can you help?  The control name I speak of is wx Amaya Canvas.

Thanks,

Alex Midence

Re: Amaya and screen readers

Juan Lanus
Hi Alex,
Hi from Buenos Aires! This might be of some help to you.

Amaya is a structured editor, that is, it sports levels of containment.
For example, a p tag may contain some span tags, and the p itself can be contained into a div ... ultimately everything will be contained into the body tag.
So, when the insertion point is placed in any element, hitting the esc key or the f2 key will expand the selection to the next upper containment level.
One issue is that at first when Amaya starts the insertion point is nowhere. Hitting tab once puts it at the beginning of the document.

Another helpful feature is the status bar at the bottom of the window. It displays all the contaiment hierarchy, for example now I have "html > body > div.textColumn > div.framed > p > em > strong".
Clicking any of these elements will select it.

Yet another one is that if you hit control-h control-g Amaya sets a TOC in the insertion point that might be used to quickly find out the documents content. Control-z will blow it out.

Is this information useful? As I never used Jaws I can´t say.

I use Amaya as my text document editor since lots of years ago. It lets me do rather elaborate documents. I developed enough HTML and CSS knowledge for this to happen.
When other have to modify the document then I open it with MSWord and save it as a .doc file.
--
Juan Lanus